Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
“Banned.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means:
Rose regularly attends games each season in Cincinnati and Philadelphia, two of the places where he played during his 23-year career, and is often introduced to players. “Then they end up texting me all the time,” Rose said. “I have play-hard credentials. No b———t, no non-sense credentials and I think players respect that. That’s why young players like me today.”… Rose said it’s not a matter of proper coaching not being available for today’s players, but rather an issue with their self-esteem … “The better the player, the less confidence they seem to have.”
Included in his list of advisees is Alex Rodriguez, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. And my gratuitous use of the Inigo Montoya quote notwithstanding, sure, there’s nothing in Rose’s ban that keeps him from talking on the phone to people. Baseball can keep him out of the Hall of Fame and off a Major League payroll, but they can’t keep him from having friends who happen to be ballplayers.
Freakin’ Rose. He makes me so mad. I think he actually has a point when he says in the article that players sometimes get overcoached and confused and stuff. And while teams certainly want technically proficient coaches to help players do things the right way, I imagine there’s serious value to having a guy like Rose on every staff someplace who can just tell guys to go out there and hit the snot out of the ball and have the personal moxie and credibility to make that useful.
I just sometimes wonder what would have happened if Rose hadn’t been a complete train wreck and actually was allowed to have been around baseball all these years. And he did things such that we never got a chance. Drives me nuts.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)