Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
“Banned.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means:
Rose regularly attends games each season in Cincinnati and Philadelphia, two of the places where he played during his 23-year career, and is often introduced to players. “Then they end up texting me all the time,” Rose said. “I have play-hard credentials. No b———t, no non-sense credentials and I think players respect that. That’s why young players like me today.”… Rose said it’s not a matter of proper coaching not being available for today’s players, but rather an issue with their self-esteem … “The better the player, the less confidence they seem to have.”
Included in his list of advisees is Alex Rodriguez, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. And my gratuitous use of the Inigo Montoya quote notwithstanding, sure, there’s nothing in Rose’s ban that keeps him from talking on the phone to people. Baseball can keep him out of the Hall of Fame and off a Major League payroll, but they can’t keep him from having friends who happen to be ballplayers.
Freakin’ Rose. He makes me so mad. I think he actually has a point when he says in the article that players sometimes get overcoached and confused and stuff. And while teams certainly want technically proficient coaches to help players do things the right way, I imagine there’s serious value to having a guy like Rose on every staff someplace who can just tell guys to go out there and hit the snot out of the ball and have the personal moxie and credibility to make that useful.
I just sometimes wonder what would have happened if Rose hadn’t been a complete train wreck and actually was allowed to have been around baseball all these years. And he did things such that we never got a chance. Drives me nuts.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)