Pete Rose may be banned, but he advises A-Rod, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce

Nov 11, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT

Pete Rose AP

“Banned.”  You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means:

Rose regularly attends games each season in Cincinnati and Philadelphia, two of the places where he played during his 23-year career, and is often introduced to players. “Then they end up texting me all the time,” Rose said. “I have play-hard credentials. No b———t, no non-sense credentials and I think players respect that. That’s why young players like me today.”… Rose said it’s not a matter of proper coaching not being available for today’s players, but rather an issue with their self-esteem … “The better the player, the less confidence they seem to have.”

Included in his list of advisees is Alex Rodriguez, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. And my gratuitous use of the Inigo Montoya quote notwithstanding, sure, there’s nothing in Rose’s ban that keeps him from talking on the phone to people. Baseball can keep him out of the Hall of Fame and off a Major League payroll, but they can’t keep him from having friends who happen to be ballplayers.

Freakin’ Rose. He makes me so mad. I think he actually has a point when he says in the article that players sometimes get overcoached and confused and stuff.  And while teams certainly want technically proficient coaches to help players do things the right way, I imagine there’s serious value to having a guy like Rose on every staff someplace who can just tell guys to go out there and hit the snot out of the ball and have the personal moxie and credibility to make that useful.

I just sometimes wonder what would have happened if Rose hadn’t been a complete train wreck and actually was allowed to have been around baseball all these years.  And he did things such that we never got a chance. Drives me nuts.

(via BTF)

1. Detroit Michael - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM

It is inconceivable that we do not know what the word “banned” means.

2. drunkenhooliganism - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Now I understand why Rodriguez keeps doing stupid shit.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM

“Freakin’ Rose. He makes me so mad. I think he actually has a point when he says in the article that players sometimes get overcoached and confused and stuff. And while teams certainly want technically proficient coaches to help players do things the right way, I imagine there’s serious value to having a guy like Rose on every staff someplace who can just tell guys to go out there and hit the snot out of the ball and have the personal moxie and credibility to make that useful.

I just sometimes wonder what would have happened if Rose hadn’t been a complete train wreck and actually was allowed to have been around baseball all these years. And he did things such that we never got a chance. Drives me nuts.”

/\ /\ /\ /\ THIS!!! /\ /\ /\ /\

So Rose was helping A-rod learn to hold ‘em or fold ‘em? right?

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Leave ARod Alone!

• JBerardi - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Would there be anything more in Rose’s character than to use steroids? Anything to win, right? I mean, it’s not exactly a secret that the guy poped greenies like they where Skittles.

4. detroitfanatic - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Wilson Ramos is the new Dread Pirate Roberts.

• phukyouk - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Good night William, sleep well, I will most likely kill you in the morning

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Fellas. Not Cool. It would be one thing if Ramos were safe and sound already with his Family and the ordeal behind him, merely a horrible footnote in his otherwise great life as a productive MLB player. But he’s still missing and making jokes about it right now is tactless to say the least.

5. canucks18 - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Those of you making light of the Wilson Ramos situation you should be ashamed and embarrassed. And besides that Rose is a beauty!!! And still the greatest hitter the game has seen

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Dang in Canucks! I gave you a thumbs up PRIOR to reading the “Rose is a beauty” B.S.
      You owe me one Man!

6. hushbrother - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

He would be the perfect man to manage the Red Sox

• clydeserra - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

that would explain their late september dive.

7. metalhead65 - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

forget bruce and votto the one red he needs to talk to is stubbs. I mean stubbs probably struck out more times last year than Pete did in his whole career! ok an slight stretch but not by much. he served his time already and should be allowed back in baseball again to at least be able to coach. spare me your self rightous speeches about how he put a stain on the game bla bla while at the same time you think nothing of the guys who cheated by juicing. or better yet use your stupid new stats and try and tell me he was not as good he was, watched him play and he was.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I hear you about Stubbs MetalHead. I have seen him play numerous times and I am sure he drives you nuts (as a Reds fan). My buddies (all Redlegs fans) harp on him all the time. Great raw talent…no doubt. But he needs to shorten up that swing. That (by itself) will help him tremendously. I also think (with his speed)…he needs to work on his bunt game. One of the fastest guys in MLB for sure. With that kind of speed (and the way he seemed to struggle for long stretches this year)…I was even screaming at him to lay one down while at the Cardinals/Reds games this year. The kid needs to get off the schnide no doubt.

• aaronmoreno - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Really, his only crime was betting on baseball, betting on his own team, and lying through his teeth about it for decades. What’s so wrong about that?

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Aaron: I think the Big Donkey did them in with regards to Strikeouts. Completely understandable when you think about the 315 times each year he strikes out.
        They are sorta’ “gun shy” if you will.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I’m sure you’re just exaggerating to make a point but in the sad case your are not…..1143 Pete’s whole career and 205 for Stubbs in 2011…

• aaronmoreno - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

What is it with Reds fans and strikeouts?

8. Kyle - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I, for one, have come to accept the darkness that resides within and am a total fan of the incredible mess that is Pete Rose.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Kyle….your just saying that cause’ he’s your bookie. I understand though.
      You are angling for the locks!

• Kyle - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Well, it’s true that I’ve never been one to turn down a sure thing.

9. metalhead65 - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

aaronmoreno- what is it with reds fans and strikeouts? we are sick of them! in the case of stubbs in particular. the guy strikes out 3 times a game for gods sake! it is not all his fault though as there is no logical reason for him to be batting lead off. but in dusty land if you are fast you lead off,does not matter if you can hit or not. see patterson and taveras for proof if you need more.everybody wants stubbs to bunt more but if he was never trained or told to do that in the minors how is just supposed to do it at the big league level? I have no doubt if he worked with Pete even for a day his hitting would improve greatly. I am pretty sure he would only talk about hitting and not how to bet on games so enough of that please.what he did was wrong and in my opinion he has paid a big enough price for it. I mean it is not like he got suspended 27 times for drugs right? yet it is perfectly ok to do that and be forgiven and feel sorry for those losers and welcome them back to baseball and have them preach to kids right?yea don’t be like me and do drugs because after the 15th time it hurts your bank account. they have disease but Pete doesn’t right?

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Metalhead: Bunting can be taught…and is taught…at every level. My guess…it was never a focus in the Minor leagues. With that kind of speed…you absolutely do everything you can do get on base. When you are struggling…the reasons for doing so are magnified. It has to be a focus. It has to be taught. It has to be discussed. It is obvious it isn’t. When struggling…good ballplayers do this without even being told. Regardless of their speed. With this speed…it should be a given.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto