Marlins have made “substantial” offers to Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes

Nov 11, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT

Marlins cap

With a new name, logo and stadium comes a new approach in free agency. The Miami Marlins are pulling out all the stops to land a big name and create some serious buzz going into 2012.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Marlins have made “substantial offers” to free agents Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes.

This story would be a lot juicier if we had any details on the proposed contract figures. Unfortunately we don’t. But what we do know is that the Marlins met with Pujols today and Reyes on Wednesday.

By the way, Jon Heyman of SI.com confirms Rosenthal’s report while adding that the Marlins have also made an offer to free agent left-hander Mark Buehrle. Heyman notes that there’s “nothing close” with any of them, so we probably shouldn’t expect a surprise unveiling tonight at the new Marlins’ ballpark in Little Havana.

UPDATE: At tonight’s presentation of the new logo and uniforms, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria confirmed to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that they have made offers while team president David Samson had no comment.

1. miketreedy - Nov 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Hey Obama, get ready to provide another bailout.

2. sportsdrenched.com - Nov 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Looks like the Phillies aren’t the only ones in the NLE bent on throwing money around.

3. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Nov 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

It’s whet your appetite, not wet. Sorry. I’m a copy editor by trade … I just can’t help myself sometimes.

• D.J. Short - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I think I was originally going to say wet your whistle and changed my mind midstream. Ah well, thanks for the correction!

• awriterorsomething - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM

4. ditka96 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM

In another note. My wife made a “substantial”offer to me last night but the wine wore off before we got home.

• spudchukar - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Sounds like the counter-offer fizzled.

5. shrimpking55 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Why don’t they mention that 2night is the unveiling and that tomorrow the fans have select-a-seat day! I smell marketing tactic. I just don’t see them throwing all that money.

• dondada10 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Very valid point

6. danielcp0303 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I don’t think this makes any sense…but every time I see that new logo, I think of Saved by the Bell.

• hopespringseternal - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

The logo somehow reminds me of an old Rambler.

• danielcp0303 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:43 PM

More specifically, the episodes at the Malibu Sands Beach Club. The summer of love for Zack and Stacey Carosi.

7. paul621 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I’m waiting for the ESPN special when they announce that they’re taking their talents to South Beach. Until then, I’m not convinced.

8. Old Gator - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Jose Reyes in….The Choice!

All of which notwithstanding, they’re not close. So much for “almost a done deal,” eh? I love this time of year. It’s like listening to Harold Camping sermons on a tape loop.

• burglebuddy - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM

“It’s like listening to Harold Camping sermons on a tape loop.”
      Hands down, the absolute BEST one liner of the off season!!

9. Panda Claus - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Substantial offers mean nothing. Ask the Nats how many times their substantial offers were returned attached to a brick.

Let me know when either of these guys receives an offer he can’t refuse. Then we’ll be onto something.

10. Old Gator - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Well, the big unveiling is over – the Feesh logo emblazoned on a leftover monolith from 2001 – A Space Odyssey, and then the various uniform designs, none of which were nearly as bad as they could have been. I actually liked the orange ones.

I will say, though, that to be a less exciting opening night speaker than Scrooge McLoria, you would have to be under a general anesthetic. Aside from looking up from his prepared speech maybe twice during the entire delivery (for emphasis, I suppose), most mortals would need a synthesizer to achieve such a perfect monotone. As major league sports rebranding festival keynotes go, this was more like a Gregorian chant.

And then the “entertainment” – ugh. I confess to finding hiphop unlistenable. I’m sorry this particular Pitbull never belonged to Michael Vick. What made it even worse was that he was introduced by Emilio Estefan – couldn’t he have brought his wife instead?

11. 78mu - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I was listening to a writer talking to a St. Louis broadcaster about the Pujols visit. He described how Loria was going to take the Pujols family to the new stadium and get around to what kind of contract numbers he was looking for.

And then as Pujols says he’s looking for a ten year contract at 30 million per I only hoped Loria was not driving at the time.

• Old Gator - Nov 12, 2011 at 6:15 AM

The Chihuahua drives. What’s really amazing is how quickly the little feller can change from his chauffeur’s uniform into an overpriced business suit to make his cockamamie announcements to the local press. He’s like a cross between Clark Kent and Herve Villechaize.

12. jimbroney - Nov 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Never understood how “Leon carosi” never found work after that.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act