Nov 11, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
It once looked like Daniel Bard was the natural heir apparent for the ninth inning role, but whether it had to do with his struggles in September or not, it appears the Red Sox aren’t necessarily convinced that he’s ready for the gig.
According to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com, the Red Sox will be in on both Heath Bell and Ryan Madson this winter.
Neither figure to get as much guaranteed money as Papelbon, but they should do very well, even in a deep market for closer-types. Madson was reportedly close to a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies earlier this week and considering that Scott Boras is his agent, you can bet he’ll look for a similar deal elsewhere. As for Bell, he told Jim Bowden earlier this week that he would prefer to stay on the West Coast with either the Padres, Angels or Dodgers, but would also be open to signing with the Phillies or Red Sox.
Losing Papelbon is no doubt a blow for Red Sox fans who are witnessing some big changes this offseason. He’s the best closer in team history, so this probably stings a little bit. But I have a feeling they’re also happy new GM Ben Cherington wasn’t the one willing to give him a four-year, $50 million contract.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 4
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 41
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 62
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)