Still no word from Wilson Ramos’ kidnappers

Nov 11, 2011, 9:25 AM EST

Wilson Ramos AP

This is getting worrisome: Adam Kilgore reports that Wilson Ramos‘ family still hasn’t heard from the kidnappers.

Now, as that expert we linked to yesterday suggested, it’s possible that they actually have been contacted and that everyone involved thinks it best to not let that information out, but man, this is not any less unsettling today than it was yesterday.

There’s nothing to do but wait.  But if you’re in Washington, Kilgore reports that a candlelight vigil is going to be held outside Nationals Park tonight at 6 p.m.

1. hasbeen5 - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I haven’t followed this other than the blurbs on this site, but does anyone know how long it usually takes for the victims family to be notified? It seems to me that as more time passes it may look less like a “normal” kidnapping.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It’s impossible to predict how long a Kidnapping will take place. We shouldn’t assume this will be 72 hours thing. Most detectives that have been interviewed regarding kidnappings down there say it can take weeks or months. Also the fact that we don’t know anything doesn’t mean there HASN’T been contact. I’m still suspicious about an earlier blurb on the government confirming Wilson was alive… it could be unofficial contact has been made…

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Off topic question…..

How did you become a Phillies phan? I saw in another thread that you grew up in Venezuela and lived there for most of yor life (maybe I misunderstood what you said) how does that turn into Phillies phandom?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM

The Phillies are just that awesome.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Actually I lived in Philadelphia for 5 years in the mid to late 80′s as a kid. I saw Mike Schmidt play, easily my favorite player of all time. The rest of my growing up was in Venezuela. I never lost the fandom since Phillie for some odd reason always managed to keep a Venezuelan player in their Roster most of the time who actually played for the same Winter League team I follow. Bobby Abreu, Omar Daal (yes he was terrible in Philly but quite good in Winter), Ugueth Urbina (before he went nuts), Tomas Perez (always cracked under pressure, he averaged one major playoff goof per year in Winter) and now I see they have youn Freddy Galvis in the wings waiting to replace Rollins! Good Times!

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

That makes total sense. It seemed like a very random team to just pick.

• hasbeen5 - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I didn’t mean to give the impression I thought his situation is worse than reported or anything. I just thought the bastards always wanted to get the money asap. Seems like the longer the situation lasts the better chance of something going wrong for all involved. At least that’s what I’ve learned from Law & Order.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Hasbeen, TV rarely conforms to reality. If I find a good book on the subject I’ll pass the reference along since most of what I know is through what I’ve read on similar kidnappings in the news when I lived there or experiences recounted second and third hand by friends.

• ThatGuy - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Seems to me the Kidnappers highest priority would be not getting caught. Which is why they are probably making sure they are taking all precaustions to avoid that, and that is likely the reason for the delay.

• hasbeen5 - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Obviously FC, the Law & Order part was a joke. But I’m beginning to wonder if there has indeed been communication that has been kept private. How else would they know he’s alive. Here’s hoping they’re just keeping it quiet until it’s resolved.

2. ThatGuy - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Prior to Urbina gonig crazy and trying to kill some people, wasn’t his mom or something kidnapped and held for months on ransom? Its possible this is a long haul type of thing.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Urbina’s mother was kidnapped in 2004 yes.

• 78mu - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Yes and that’s why the idea that MLB can provide security for all players in Venezuela won’t work. There are too many family members as well as friends that can be substituted for the players.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4723)