Nov 11, 2011, 9:59 PM EDT
Rafael Rojas of the Meridiano newspaper in Venezuela just tweeted that Wilson Ramos has been found safely:
Internal Affairs Minister called Ramos family and told them they got him … VZ Information Minister tweets Ramos has been found safely by authorities at mountains at Carabobo state ..
Rojas says that Ramos’ recovery was announced on the PA System at Winter League games in progress and that the crowds went wild.
This is fantastic way to end what has been an awful week. We’ll obviously pass along the details as they come available. This report from NBC Sports.com will be updated as the evening progresses.
UPDATE: Ramos’ teammate, Scott Drucker, tweets that Ramos is in Caracas now, getting medical attention. He also passes along the ecstatic response of the Venezuelan crowds when the announcement was made.
UPDATE II: More details are beginning to pour in. Rafael Rojas reports that the internal affairs minister just said there are three detainees, so it looks like this was a rescue operation.
UPDATE III: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Ramos has told his family that he is “healthy and well,” according to close family friend Marfa Mata.
UPDATE IV: Via Zuckerman, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has released a statement:
“The news from Venezuela tonight is reassuring. Though details are limited and we have not yet talked directly with Wilson, we are thrilled with reports that he has been rescued and is being safely returned to his family. We greatly appreciate all the prayers and thoughts of all who have joined us in wishing for this conclusion to what has been a nightmarish 48 hours. We are eager to see Wilson and let him know just how many all over the world have been waiting for this news.”
UPDATE V: Via Kathe Vilera on Twitter, here’s a photo of Ramos, who she describes as “healthy and safe.”
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)