Nov 11, 2011, 9:59 PM EST
Rafael Rojas of the Meridiano newspaper in Venezuela just tweeted that Wilson Ramos has been found safely:
Internal Affairs Minister called Ramos family and told them they got him … VZ Information Minister tweets Ramos has been found safely by authorities at mountains at Carabobo state ..
Rojas says that Ramos’ recovery was announced on the PA System at Winter League games in progress and that the crowds went wild.
This is fantastic way to end what has been an awful week. We’ll obviously pass along the details as they come available. This report from NBC Sports.com will be updated as the evening progresses.
UPDATE: Ramos’ teammate, Scott Drucker, tweets that Ramos is in Caracas now, getting medical attention. He also passes along the ecstatic response of the Venezuelan crowds when the announcement was made.
UPDATE II: More details are beginning to pour in. Rafael Rojas reports that the internal affairs minister just said there are three detainees, so it looks like this was a rescue operation.
UPDATE III: Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Ramos has told his family that he is “healthy and well,” according to close family friend Marfa Mata.
UPDATE IV: Via Zuckerman, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has released a statement:
“The news from Venezuela tonight is reassuring. Though details are limited and we have not yet talked directly with Wilson, we are thrilled with reports that he has been rescued and is being safely returned to his family. We greatly appreciate all the prayers and thoughts of all who have joined us in wishing for this conclusion to what has been a nightmarish 48 hours. We are eager to see Wilson and let him know just how many all over the world have been waiting for this news.”
UPDATE V: Via Kathe Vilera on Twitter, here’s a photo of Ramos, who she describes as “healthy and safe.”
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)