Nov 11, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.
“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.
Um, yeah. I get that. I get that Miami may be more desirable for some Latin players than elsewhere. But really: hope you got your checkbook ready, Samson, because “we’re a great destination for a Latin player,” while not irrelevant, is probably way closer to “pitchers like to hit so the NL is better” when it comes to things that tip the scale for a free agent.
Aroldis Chapman seems to have had no problem casting his lot in with I-71 and the Louisville-Cincinnati corridor. I’m sure that if you don’t bid high, Cespedes could make himself just fine with anyplace too.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)