Nov 11, 2011, 9:54 AM EST
The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.
“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.
Um, yeah. I get that. I get that Miami may be more desirable for some Latin players than elsewhere. But really: hope you got your checkbook ready, Samson, because “we’re a great destination for a Latin player,” while not irrelevant, is probably way closer to “pitchers like to hit so the NL is better” when it comes to things that tip the scale for a free agent.
Aroldis Chapman seems to have had no problem casting his lot in with I-71 and the Louisville-Cincinnati corridor. I’m sure that if you don’t bid high, Cespedes could make himself just fine with anyplace too.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 42
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)