Nov 11, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.
“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.
Um, yeah. I get that. I get that Miami may be more desirable for some Latin players than elsewhere. But really: hope you got your checkbook ready, Samson, because “we’re a great destination for a Latin player,” while not irrelevant, is probably way closer to “pitchers like to hit so the NL is better” when it comes to things that tip the scale for a free agent.
Aroldis Chapman seems to have had no problem casting his lot in with I-71 and the Louisville-Cincinnati corridor. I’m sure that if you don’t bid high, Cespedes could make himself just fine with anyplace too.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)