Nov 11, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.
“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.
Um, yeah. I get that. I get that Miami may be more desirable for some Latin players than elsewhere. But really: hope you got your checkbook ready, Samson, because “we’re a great destination for a Latin player,” while not irrelevant, is probably way closer to “pitchers like to hit so the NL is better” when it comes to things that tip the scale for a free agent.
Aroldis Chapman seems to have had no problem casting his lot in with I-71 and the Louisville-Cincinnati corridor. I’m sure that if you don’t bid high, Cespedes could make himself just fine with anyplace too.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights