Yoenis Cespedes had a private workout for the Marlins

Nov 11, 2011, 9:54 AM EST

Yoennis Cespedes

The Marlins talk big about every free agent, but one guy they seem just as well-positioned to sign as anyone is Yoenis Cespedes, and as Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post reports, they had a private workout for the guy yesterday.

“We had our top baseball people there,” [Marlins president David] Samson said. “They were certainly impressed with his ability, He’s got to tools. He’s certainly an impressive player … We think we’re a great fit because we are Miami. We are a natural destination for any Latin player,” Samson said.

Um, yeah.  I get that. I get that Miami may be more desirable for some Latin players than elsewhere. But really: hope you got your checkbook ready, Samson, because “we’re a great destination for a Latin player,” while not irrelevant, is probably way closer to “pitchers like to hit so the NL is better” when it comes to things that tip the scale for a free agent.

Aroldis Chapman seems to have had no problem casting his lot in with I-71 and the Louisville-Cincinnati corridor. I’m sure that if you don’t bid high, Cespedes could make himself just fine with anyplace too.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM

For $30M over 6 years, I might even consider moving to some suburb in Columbus OH.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Jason, ask for more if you’re going to do that. Our pizza is truly awful here.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I’d travel with my on Bari oven. Because that’s how I roll. Or how I’d roll with $30M in the bank.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I’d travel with my own Bari oven. Because that’s how I roll. Or how I’d roll with $30M in the bank.

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Too bad you can’t have some Old Forge pizza :)

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I can’t recomend places named New Albany highly enough. I’m a fine product of New Albany, Indiana.

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Don’t worry, Jason, they do teach students how to spell recommend in places named New Albany.

2. Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Heck for $30 MM over 6 years a guy could buy a piece of land and RESHAPE it to his liking no matter where he lived!

3. whatthehellisansky - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Man, am I the only guy who thinks that if this guy really is who they say he is (26 yr old legit 5 tool prospect) that hes a bargain at 5m/yr?

• Kyle - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

He’s definitely an exciting risk/reward proposition. From what I understand, his competition has been equivalent to A or AA ball up to this point. So he’s going to need some time in AA and AAA and whoever invests in him needs to hope he doesn’t have any massive holes in his swing.

• paperlions - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

The Cuban leagues are equivalent to low A ball…which is far below A+, much less AA. He may storm through those levels…but many prospects find their ceilings somewhere between low A and AAA…you just never know until they get there….and 26 is freaking old for a guy to have never faced better competition than low A.

4. aaronmoreno - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM

“We’re a great destination for a Latin player,” is right up there with “Everyone wants to play for the Yankees,” in irrelevance to actually paying someone.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester