Nov 12, 2011, 10:03 PM EST
Cubs right-hander Carlos Zambrano surrendered two runs over 2 2/3 innings in his Venezuelan Winter League debut earlier this week. On Saturday afternoon, he made his second VWL appearance.
Rafael Rojas of Viva Colorado has the goods.
Big Z allowed five hits and three earned runs over six innings, issuing two walks while striking out five.
The 30-year-old is trying to prove that he still has the ability to be a reliable starter and there are Cubs people on hand in Venezuela tracking his progress. Zambrano, who registered an underwhelming 4.82 ERA and 101/56 K/BB ratio in 145 2/3 innings this past season, is owed an $18 million salary in 2012.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)