More details on the rescue of Wilson Ramos

Nov 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Venezuelan Washington Nationals catcher

Wilson Ramos was found safely by Venezuelan authorities on Friday, nearly 48 hours after he was taken from his home by four gunmen. Here are some more details on his rescue.

In an interview with Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, Ramos said he was lying in a bed in captivity when he began to hear an exchange of gunfire. He immediately jumped to the floor and prayed for his safety before being rescued by Venezuelan police commandos.

“They picked me up off the floor and they said, ‘Hey, Wilson, thank God, you’re safe. Let’s go home. Your family is waiting for you.’”

Ramos said his kidnappers only spoke to him briefly, saying that they were “going to ask for a ton of cash for me.” According to the family, they were never issued a demand for ransom and it’s believed they were not paid. The kidnappers did not hurt him and offered him food and water. While there are no physical scars, Ramos said, “psychologically I underwent very great harm.”

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo issued a statement earlier this morning regarding Ramos’ rescue:

“I am happy to announce that I have spoken directly with Wilson and he assures me he is unharmed but eager to be reunited with his family,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement. “He asked me to thank all who played a role in his rescue and all those who kept him and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

“I join Wilson in thanking the many law enforcement officials in Venezuela and investigators with Major League Baseball who worked tirelessly to ensure a positive ending to what has been a frightening ordeal. The only detail that concerns us is that Wilson is safe. The entire Washington Nationals family is thankful that Wilson Ramos is coming home.”

The Associated Press reports that five men were arrested in connection with the kidnapping, including a Colombian “linked to paramilitary groups and to kidnapping groups.”

According to Rafael Rojas of Viva Colorado, who has done a tremendous job on this story, Ramos hasn’t ruled out making another appearance in the Venezuelan Winter League in order to acknowledge the tremendous support he and his family received during his ordeal.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Thankfully he is safe and at home now. I wonder if perhaps some of these players who make their homes in some of these countries might think about building a “safe room” for their homes. It would seem to be a be an expense well worth it. I realize it’s a drastic step but sometimes drastic times require drastic measures or in this case drastic precautions. Again, fortunately and thankfully he safe.

• cur68 - Nov 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Think they grabbed him in the street, uyf, but a safe room’s not a bad idea. A better idea would be for Chavez to expend some effort on improving civil law and order.

• APBA Guy - Nov 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Cur-

I don’t think Chavez has law and order as his paramount concern.

• cur68 - Nov 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Be an idea if he did concentrate on some though.

• adenzeno - Nov 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

That would require Chavez to not be a petty tyrant and thief who is stealing land and liberty from his people…But that is another story…

2. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Happy ending to a horrible story!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM

What sick individuals would dislike your comment?

3. deathmonkey41 - Nov 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Whenever I hear stories like this, it just makes me so much more appreciative that I live in the good, ole US of A.

4. tilllman40 - Nov 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Good. No doubt delta made the rescue

5. JB (the original) - Nov 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM

and since this didn’t take place in the US, here’s where Chavez can begin to nip this epidemic in the bud by summariily executing all 5 that were arrested. You live in a ‘warlord’ culture, you respond in the ‘language’ they understand.

• jwbiii - Nov 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Venezuela was the first nation to completely abolish the death penalty, back in 1863. That’s not going to happen.

6. greatminnesotasportsmind - Nov 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I guess my initial hunch of Terry Ryan, Billy Smith, Ron Gardenhire, and other members of the Twins trying to get a catcher who actually plays was a bit off.

• The Common Man - Nov 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM

That, right there, is funny.

7. dickclydesdale - Nov 12, 2011 at 6:13 PM

This guy should move permanently to the U.S. as should all the pro athletes because in their own countries this happens a lot.

8. unknowneric - Nov 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM

On the other hand, when Wilson Phillips were kidnapped, all they had to do was sing, “Baby, you’ve just got to release me.”

/wah-wah-waaaaaaaaaaaah

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline