Nov 12, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
While the Red Sox were scheduled to interview Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont for their managerial vacancy today, general manager Ben Cherington may have already pegged a favorite.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston writes that Cherington is “extremely high” on Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum. In fact, Edes goes as far to speculate that Cherington has already made up his mind on a recommendation to ownership, but is going through the process in order to make sure “his judgment is sound.”
It was a little surprising to hear Lamont was interviewing, given that he turns 65 in December and hasn’t managed in the majors since 2000, but he could be an ideal bench coach for a rookie manager. For what it’s worth, Sveum played for Lamont with the Pirates in 1997.
In addition to Sveum and Lamont, the Red Sox have interviewed Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar, Jr., Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Blue Jays first base coach and former PawSox manager Torey Lovullo. The speculation shouldn’t last much longer, as the Red Sox are expected to name a new manager by Thanksgiving.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)