Nov 12, 2011, 3:49 PM EST
While the Red Sox were scheduled to interview Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont for their managerial vacancy today, general manager Ben Cherington may have already pegged a favorite.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston writes that Cherington is “extremely high” on Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum. In fact, Edes goes as far to speculate that Cherington has already made up his mind on a recommendation to ownership, but is going through the process in order to make sure “his judgment is sound.”
It was a little surprising to hear Lamont was interviewing, given that he turns 65 in December and hasn’t managed in the majors since 2000, but he could be an ideal bench coach for a rookie manager. For what it’s worth, Sveum played for Lamont with the Pirates in 1997.
In addition to Sveum and Lamont, the Red Sox have interviewed Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar, Jr., Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Blue Jays first base coach and former PawSox manager Torey Lovullo. The speculation shouldn’t last much longer, as the Red Sox are expected to name a new manager by Thanksgiving.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)