Nov 12, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
While the Red Sox were scheduled to interview Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont for their managerial vacancy today, general manager Ben Cherington may have already pegged a favorite.
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston writes that Cherington is “extremely high” on Brewers hitting coach and former Red Sox third base coach Dale Sveum. In fact, Edes goes as far to speculate that Cherington has already made up his mind on a recommendation to ownership, but is going through the process in order to make sure “his judgment is sound.”
It was a little surprising to hear Lamont was interviewing, given that he turns 65 in December and hasn’t managed in the majors since 2000, but he could be an ideal bench coach for a rookie manager. For what it’s worth, Sveum played for Lamont with the Pirates in 1997.
In addition to Sveum and Lamont, the Red Sox have interviewed Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar, Jr., Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Blue Jays first base coach and former PawSox manager Torey Lovullo. The speculation shouldn’t last much longer, as the Red Sox are expected to name a new manager by Thanksgiving.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (79)
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon