Nov 12, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Add another team to the list of those who might be willing to take a chance on Grady Sizemore.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, the Rockies have expressed interest in Sizemore. Of course, “expressed interest” is a familiar and vague piece of Hot Stove jargon, so it’s not clear if they have actually reached out to the agent for the free agent outfielder.
While Sizemore is on Colorado’s radar, Renck says it’s unlikely they will intensify their efforts until they exhaust all options on a possible trade for Atlanta’s Martin Prado. The Rockies also have Dexter Fowler locked in as their center fielder and presumably Carlos Gonzalez in right, so Sizemore would have to be amenable to a move to left field.
The Indians declined Sizemore’s $9 million club option for 2012 late last month. The Red Sox have already contacted him in recent days while the Phillies, Nationals, Mets and Athletics have also been mentioned as possibilities. Most expect the 29-year-old will sign a one-year, incentive-laden deal in hopes of reestablishing his value before testing the free agent market again next offseason.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (171)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)