Nov 12, 2011, 1:26 PM EST
Here’s a development that could have a significant impact on the offseason plans for several teams.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer was told by a source that it could take two months before Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will be declared a free agent by MLB.
Cespedes, 26, defected to the Dominican Republic this past summer. His advisor Edgar Mercedes told Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus earlier this week that they were hoping to have his paperwork wrapped up before the end of the month and that he was confident Cespedes would be in spring training with an MLB team. Cespedes’ agent is Adam Katz of Wasserman Media Group.
Cespedes was already visited by a large contingent from the Marlins front office this week and is expected to have several more private workouts for interested teams in the coming days and weeks. The early buzz is that he could land a deal rivaling the $30.25 million contract Aroldis Chapman signed with the Reds in January of 2010.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 29
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)