Nov 12, 2011, 5:10 PM EST
The Pirates declined 2012 and 2013 options on Doumit late last month totaling $15.5 million. Crasnick reported earlier this week that the 30-year-old has already received multiple contract offers and expects to sign by the end of the month.
Doumit was limited to just 77 games this season due to a left ankle injury, but batted .303/.353/.477 with with eight homers, 30 RBI and an .830 OPS over 236 plate appearances. The switch-hitter has a .777 OPS over seven seasons in the big leagues. While he is regarded as a poor defender behind the plate, Doumit also has experience playing first base and right field.
Crasnick notes that Doumit is drawing more interest from American League teams, which makes sense considering that the presence of the designated hitter would make him a less of a liability defensively and give him a better chance to remain healthy, but Cobbe said he also received an offer from an unspecified National League team today.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)