Nov 13, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer heard this weekend that Cuban phenom Yoenis Cespedes might not be eligible for major league free agency for another two months. But that hasn’t stopped teams from expressing serious interest.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the Cubs will have a private workout with the 26-year-old outfielder in the coming days, following in the Marlins’ footsteps. And many more teams are expected to join them over the next several weeks.
Cespedes has an intriguing combination of power and speed, and most talent evaluators believe he could be ready for everyday major league action within a few months of signing a deal.
Beyond the Marlins and Cubs, the Red Sox, Phillies, Indians, Blue Jays, Pirates, Rangers, Tigers, Nationals, Athletics, Marlins and Yankees have also made their interest known.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)