Nov 13, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Pop quiz, hot shot: your manager just retired following a World Series win. He was the most experienced and successful and savvy guy to manage a major league baseball team in decades. You need someone to follow that act, somehow. Who do you hire? WHO DO YOU HIRE?!
Why, you hire a guy with absolutely no experience whatsoever.
Well, at least no managerial experience. Matheny did play 13 years in the bigs with four teams, five in St. Louis. During that entire time, there were people saying that he was managerial material. They say that about a lot of catchers, but they always seemed to say it more about Matheny than anyone.
Also in his favor: he’s not just coming into the organization cold. He’s worked with the Cardinals for a while now, doing some minor league instruction. According Ken Rosenthal’s report yesterday — in which he really disliked the idea of Matheny getting the job — he has forged a strong relationship with Dave Duncan. That’s pretty big considering that it probably means that Duncan is not going anyplace, which may not have been the case if a different manager was hired. It will also give him some added credibility.
All of that said, yeah. No managerial experience. Not even any high-level coaching experience. He’ll command respect because he always has, but there is not a long list of successful managers who came in this green.
With Matheny, and with Robin Ventura with the White Sox, we’ll see if that trend can change.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)