Nov 13, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Pop quiz, hot shot: your manager just retired following a World Series win. He was the most experienced and successful and savvy guy to manage a major league baseball team in decades. You need someone to follow that act, somehow. Who do you hire? WHO DO YOU HIRE?!
Why, you hire a guy with absolutely no experience whatsoever.
Well, at least no managerial experience. Matheny did play 13 years in the bigs with four teams, five in St. Louis. During that entire time, there were people saying that he was managerial material. They say that about a lot of catchers, but they always seemed to say it more about Matheny than anyone.
Also in his favor: he’s not just coming into the organization cold. He’s worked with the Cardinals for a while now, doing some minor league instruction. According Ken Rosenthal’s report yesterday — in which he really disliked the idea of Matheny getting the job — he has forged a strong relationship with Dave Duncan. That’s pretty big considering that it probably means that Duncan is not going anyplace, which may not have been the case if a different manager was hired. It will also give him some added credibility.
All of that said, yeah. No managerial experience. Not even any high-level coaching experience. He’ll command respect because he always has, but there is not a long list of successful managers who came in this green.
With Matheny, and with Robin Ventura with the White Sox, we’ll see if that trend can change.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 26
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)