The Miami Marlins stole their new logo from … Maroon 5?

Nov 13, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT

OK, “stole” is probably too strong of a word. But, as noted by Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, it certainly looks as though the designers of the Miami Marlins’ new logo took some amount of inspiration from the cover art for the hit single “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera.

Hideous song. Hideous logo. But that’s just one baseball blogger’s opinion.

source:

source:

1. JBerardi - Nov 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

The Maroon 5 logo is much better. Much more vibrant and dynamic, none of that stupid gray outline crap. I mean, it wouldn’t work as a baseball team’s logo, but then, neither does the Marlins logo…

• stercuilus65 - Nov 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Actually they both equally suck.

• cur68 - Nov 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM

^^This.

2. jeffhink - Nov 13, 2011 at 5:31 PM

The timing of this doesn’t make it likely to me. That logo was leaked months ago, meaning it had been worked on for some time up until then. The song came out in what, early October? By the time the cover art for the single was released the Marlins logo was probably already being reviewed.

• Bryz - Nov 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

The song was released in June, by the way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moves_Like_Jagger

• stercuilus65 - Nov 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Can’t imagine that logo taking more than five minutes to whip up.

3. yankeesgameday - Nov 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM

God, I could care so little about the marlin’s logo that I can’t imagine how much less I care that their graphic artist was inspired by a second rate band.

4. pjmitch - Nov 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Both look crappy. I give it 2 years before they realize that nobody will wear that stuff

5. rcali - Nov 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I just got sick to my stomach looking at it again.

6. firedude7160 - Nov 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

They kind of look similar, but there isn’t much you can do to make an “M” look different from another “M”

7. atwatercrushesokoye - Nov 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Both are M’s with multiple colors….does that really qualify as stealing? And if the Marlins were really going to rip off their logo couldn’t they have chosen somebody better than some p***y band that puts out extremely sh**ty music?! Ripping off Gloria Estevan and the Miami Sound Machine would have at least led to more street cred than ripping off these little b**ches!

8. North American Bowl - Nov 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The logo and colors fit South Florida.

• Bryz - Nov 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, Jeffrey Loria is now commenting on HBT.

• stercuilus65 - Nov 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Why do you hate south Florida?

• tekton8 - Nov 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

why doesn’t south florida hate this logo???

9. rollinghighwayblues - Nov 13, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Thanks, Drew. Very considerate of you posting both of those logos back to back…now I have a splitting headache.

10. Panda Claus - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I said this weeks ago on this site. Look it up. However, in Miami’s defense, there’s only so much you can do with an “M”.

11. rejo0203 - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM