Aramis Ramirez will not be back with the Cubs

Nov 14, 2011, 8:00 PM EST

Aramis Ramirez Getty Images

New Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein hinted earlier this month that Aramis Ramirez will likely be “moving on,” but the veteran third baseman’s agent said something much more definitive earlier today.

According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Ramirez’s agent Paul Kinzer said “that ship has sailed” as far as his client re-signing with the Cubs.

Ramirez declined his portion of a $16 million mutual option with the Cubs late last month. The 33-year-old rebounded from a subpar 2010 season to hit .306/.361/.510 with 26 homers, 93 RBI and an .871 OPS over 626 plate appearances in 2011.

Kinzer told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that Ramirez is looking for either a four-year contract or a three-year deal with an option. When you consider that the alternatives among free agent third baseman include the likes of Wilson Betemit, Casey Blake, Eric Chavez, Mark DeRosa and Kevin Kouzmanoff, it’s not outrageous to think he could get the deal he wants.

1. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Absolutely the right move for Aramis. Sure, $16 million is a ton of money for one season, but the multi-year deal he’s going to receive this offseason will be worth waaaaaaaaaay more.

2. SmackSaw - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

He’d look good in Angel red.

3. andyreidisfat - Nov 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I gotta say as much as I think 4 years is to long for him he would fit what the phillies do nicely, not to mention he probably wants to play for a contender after being with the sad sack cubs for so long

• chadjones27 - Nov 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM

” what the phillies do”
      overpay for aging ballplayers

• Alex K - Nov 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Aramis played in the playoffs three times in about 8.5 seasons. They were over .500 four of his 8 full years and his part year in 2003. They were the best team in the National League in 2008. It is wrong to say that the Cubs were a sad sack while he was there.

• rosloe62 - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Let’s not forget, he was traded from the Pirates. So the Cubs were a huge upgrade in his 8 years. Not to mention the big money he made. Hopefully he can stay healthy wherever he goes.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM

You know, I want to say that the Phillies shouldn’t go anywhere near this guy for obvious reasons…age, lack of defense, contract length. But you know what, what the hell does it matter anymore. They are screwed in another 3 years anyway, maybe sooner (assuming their prospects don’t pan out)….why the hell not? If they are going to give out asinine contracts, might as well go all the way with it.

• cowboysoldiertx - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I always thought he was OK with the glove. But it would be unwise to give him a huge contract (as you alude too). They have soooooooooooooooooo many bloated contracts! They are now the Yankees.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I thought that too…the glove part but then I looked it up and he has been trending toward horrible the past few seasons. I know they have so many bloated contracts. The future is probably murky at best so why not just add one more bloated contract to the list if he can help now and next year.

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:36 AM

The problem with this guy his entire career is that he goes through bouts of just not giving a crap. Attitude is why the Pirates traded him, is a big reason his defense is so bad (I’ve never seen a 3B just watch so many catchable balls go by without even taking a step toward them), and it is one of the reasons cubs don’t want him back. Talented guy, but he’s just packed it in a couple of times too many for me to think investing in him for multiple years (especially at his age) is a good idea….he’s at that age where guys have to start working much harder just to maintain performances….and I just don’t see him caring enough to do that.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I agree with everything you say Paper….I’m just saying the Phillies seem past the point of no return anyway. So, why not just keep feeding the monkey.

4. nhuskerjj - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:49 AM

You do not want this guy on your team. I have heard first hand that his work ethic and attitude is not too good.

• 18thstreet - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

What does “first hand” mean here? I’m not asking for names.

5. stackers1 - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM

He needs to get into the best shape of his life.

6. nhuskerjj - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I wouldn’t give one anyway but I have had conversations with a person of knowledge that says this guy is a cancer and dies not give the greatest effort.

7. nhuskerjj - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:51 PM

8. nhuskerjj - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:52 PM

****Does*** sorry iPhone not the greatest place to post on message boards.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5881)