Nov 14, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Phil Hughes didn’t show up to spring training grossly overweight last February, but he’d packed on enough pounds to end up in what the New York Yankees call “fat camp.” It is for players who need to up their conditioning a bit to ready themselves for the season. With 2012 spring training now less than 100 days away, Hughes is reverting to the workout program that preceded his All-Star 2010 season, which makes Yankees GM Brian Cashman think an uptick in Hughes’ performance will follow.
So I presume that we’ll see some “Phil Hughes is in the best shape of his life stories this spring. Which is fine. Of course if people think that conditioning, as opposed to other physical problems, was his biggest issue in the first half of the season, well, whatever.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)