Nov 14, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Phil Hughes didn’t show up to spring training grossly overweight last February, but he’d packed on enough pounds to end up in what the New York Yankees call “fat camp.” It is for players who need to up their conditioning a bit to ready themselves for the season. With 2012 spring training now less than 100 days away, Hughes is reverting to the workout program that preceded his All-Star 2010 season, which makes Yankees GM Brian Cashman think an uptick in Hughes’ performance will follow.
So I presume that we’ll see some “Phil Hughes is in the best shape of his life stories this spring. Which is fine. Of course if people think that conditioning, as opposed to other physical problems, was his biggest issue in the first half of the season, well, whatever.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)