Nov 14, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
Dave Duncan has a good relationship with new Cardinals manager Mike Matheny and today the pitching coach reiterated that he plans to keep the job in 2012.
Duncan told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Matheny reached out to him immediately after being hired and “assured me that he wants me to be a part of what he’s going to be doing there.”
Duncan is already under contract for 2012, but between his longtime partnership with Tony La Russa and his wife’s health problems there was some doubt about whether he’d want to stay on as pitching coach regardless of the new manager.
“My intentions are to come back,” Duncan told Goold. “I’ll be there.”
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 0
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)