Nov 14, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
Dave Duncan has a good relationship with new Cardinals manager Mike Matheny and today the pitching coach reiterated that he plans to keep the job in 2012.
Duncan told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Matheny reached out to him immediately after being hired and “assured me that he wants me to be a part of what he’s going to be doing there.”
Duncan is already under contract for 2012, but between his longtime partnership with Tony La Russa and his wife’s health problems there was some doubt about whether he’d want to stay on as pitching coach regardless of the new manager.
“My intentions are to come back,” Duncan told Goold. “I’ll be there.”
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)