Nov 14, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
Dave Duncan has a good relationship with new Cardinals manager Mike Matheny and today the pitching coach reiterated that he plans to keep the job in 2012.
Duncan told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Matheny reached out to him immediately after being hired and “assured me that he wants me to be a part of what he’s going to be doing there.”
Duncan is already under contract for 2012, but between his longtime partnership with Tony La Russa and his wife’s health problems there was some doubt about whether he’d want to stay on as pitching coach regardless of the new manager.
“My intentions are to come back,” Duncan told Goold. “I’ll be there.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)