Nov 14, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel spoke with Brewers GM Doug Melvin and, while Melvin said that he “might” meet with Scott Boras this week at the GM/owners meetings in Milwaukee, there is zero chance that the Brewers will make Fielder an offer.
Haudricourt breaks it down pretty simply: the Brewers have extended Ryan Braun and Yovanni Gallardo and have taken on Zack Greinke and other contracts. By the time the roster is filled out without Fielder, the payroll is going to be something close to where it was in 2011 or a bit more. The Brewers draw great crowds, but there are practical limits there.
Mat Gamel will not be Prince Fielder. Not by damn sight. He’s had 194 major league plate appearances sprinkled over four seasons and hasn’t produced at all. But he hit .310/.372/.540 with 28 homers in Nashville last year. He’s going to turn 27 next summer and it was his fourth time around the PCL — NOTE: I love that Nashville is in the Pacific Coast League — but there’s nothing for him to prove on the farm anymore. It’s put up or go away time for him and the Brewers know that.
As for Fielder, his time in Milwaukee is over. The Rangers have already said they’re out. The Dodgers have been ruled out by either Major League Baseball, Frank McCourt, the bankruptcy court or some combination of them all. Everyone suspects that the Cubs will show interest, and the Marlins are giving off the vibe that they’ll do anything. Seattle badly needs some power. Maybe the Nationals will do something crazy again. But there aren’t a ton of other teams that have both a hole at first base and a possible desire to spend money.
So, like, we’ll see.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)