Nov 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Chone Figgins has been a complete disaster since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the Mariners in December of 2009. After he hit absolute rock bottom this season by batting just .188/.241/.243 over 313 plate appearances, it appears general manager Jack Zduriencik is ready to cut his losses and move on.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Mariners are willing to kick in some cash in order to rid themselves of Figgins. What a concept.
Morosi hears that the Mariners are hopeful a team in need of a leadoff man will engage them in trade talks. They view the Reds, Tigers and Giants as possible fits, though it’s not clear if any of them are actually interested.
Figgins, who turns 34 in January, is still owed $9 million next season and $8 million in 2013. His contract includes a $9 million vesting option for 2014 if he gets 600 plate appearances in 2013. He couldn’t do much worse with a change of scenery, but the only realistic way a deal goes down is if the Mariners are willing to cover most of his remaining salary or they find a trade partner who has a similarly bad contract.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 0
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)