Nov 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Chone Figgins has been a complete disaster since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the Mariners in December of 2009. After he hit absolute rock bottom this season by batting just .188/.241/.243 over 313 plate appearances, it appears general manager Jack Zduriencik is ready to cut his losses and move on.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Mariners are willing to kick in some cash in order to rid themselves of Figgins. What a concept.
Morosi hears that the Mariners are hopeful a team in need of a leadoff man will engage them in trade talks. They view the Reds, Tigers and Giants as possible fits, though it’s not clear if any of them are actually interested.
Figgins, who turns 34 in January, is still owed $9 million next season and $8 million in 2013. His contract includes a $9 million vesting option for 2014 if he gets 600 plate appearances in 2013. He couldn’t do much worse with a change of scenery, but the only realistic way a deal goes down is if the Mariners are willing to cover most of his remaining salary or they find a trade partner who has a similarly bad contract.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (90)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (83)