Nov 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Chone Figgins has been a complete disaster since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the Mariners in December of 2009. After he hit absolute rock bottom this season by batting just .188/.241/.243 over 313 plate appearances, it appears general manager Jack Zduriencik is ready to cut his losses and move on.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Mariners are willing to kick in some cash in order to rid themselves of Figgins. What a concept.
Morosi hears that the Mariners are hopeful a team in need of a leadoff man will engage them in trade talks. They view the Reds, Tigers and Giants as possible fits, though it’s not clear if any of them are actually interested.
Figgins, who turns 34 in January, is still owed $9 million next season and $8 million in 2013. His contract includes a $9 million vesting option for 2014 if he gets 600 plate appearances in 2013. He couldn’t do much worse with a change of scenery, but the only realistic way a deal goes down is if the Mariners are willing to cover most of his remaining salary or they find a trade partner who has a similarly bad contract.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)