Nov 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Chone Figgins has been a complete disaster since signing a four-year, $36 million deal with the Mariners in December of 2009. After he hit absolute rock bottom this season by batting just .188/.241/.243 over 313 plate appearances, it appears general manager Jack Zduriencik is ready to cut his losses and move on.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Mariners are willing to kick in some cash in order to rid themselves of Figgins. What a concept.
Morosi hears that the Mariners are hopeful a team in need of a leadoff man will engage them in trade talks. They view the Reds, Tigers and Giants as possible fits, though it’s not clear if any of them are actually interested.
Figgins, who turns 34 in January, is still owed $9 million next season and $8 million in 2013. His contract includes a $9 million vesting option for 2014 if he gets 600 plate appearances in 2013. He couldn’t do much worse with a change of scenery, but the only realistic way a deal goes down is if the Mariners are willing to cover most of his remaining salary or they find a trade partner who has a similarly bad contract.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)