Nov 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Because some of you care about such things I will note at the outset that this blog post by Jonathan Bernhardt is long. Quite long. But there are fewer wasted words there than in most Twitter updates.
Everyone knows that Peter Angelos is the central problem with the Orioles, but I’ve never seen it put so starkly — and, actually, fairly — than Bernhardt does. It’s one thing to curse a blue streak about Angelos and his failings, but it’s quite another thing — a quite devastating thing — to simply explain Angelos’ place in the universe, his strengths and his weaknesses and end up at the end of it all thinking “oh my god.”
It all ends up with the Orioles’ hiring of Dan Duquette as the new GM and a look at his chances to make something happen. Bernhardt isnt’ optimistic. By the time you get that far, though, you know the answer. Duquette is already a dead man walking. Even if he doesn’t know it yet.
A great read. If the length bugs you just print it out and take it to the john with you or something.
What? Oh, fine, your majesty. Whatever you say.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)