Nov 14, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Jonathan Papelbon‘s four-year contract with the Phillies is now official, as the team announced the deal along with one little twist: He’ll get $50,000,058.
That extra 58 bucks matches his uniform number, which he’ll apparently be taking from new bullpen-mate Antonio Bastardo.
Papelbon’s contract also includes a $13 million option for 2016 that vests if he has 55 games finished in 2015 or a total of 100 games finished between 2014 and 2015. In other words, if he stays healthy and remains a closer it would become a five-year, $63 million deal. Wow.
Philadelphia gives up its first-round pick to sign Papelbon away from Boston, but the Phillies will likely get another team’s first-rounder (and a supplemental first-rounder) when Ryan Madson signs elsewhere.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)