Nov 14, 2011, 10:59 PM EST
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and assistant general manager Scott Servais had dinner tonight with Wilson’s agent Bob Garber.
DiGiovanna cites “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” as saying the Angels have “serious” interest in the free agent left-hander.
Dipoto wasn’t shy after the meeting with Garber, telling ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, “Obviously we have interest, and we’re hoping C.J. feels the same way.”
Wilson, who hails from Southern California, has a 3.14 ERA since making the transition from the bullpen to the starting rotation at the start of the 2010 season. He is widely regarded as the top starting pitcher available in free agency, despite his well-chronicled postseason struggles. According to DiGiovanna, the southpaw is expected to command a six-year contract in the range of $100 million.
UPDATE: Not surprisingly, Wilson likes being liked. His agent Bob Garber tells Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that, “C.J. is extremely interested (in Angels). We’re going to talk some more.”
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)