Nov 14, 2011, 10:59 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and assistant general manager Scott Servais had dinner tonight with Wilson’s agent Bob Garber.
DiGiovanna cites “a source familiar with the team’s thinking” as saying the Angels have “serious” interest in the free agent left-hander.
Dipoto wasn’t shy after the meeting with Garber, telling ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, “Obviously we have interest, and we’re hoping C.J. feels the same way.”
Wilson, who hails from Southern California, has a 3.14 ERA since making the transition from the bullpen to the starting rotation at the start of the 2010 season. He is widely regarded as the top starting pitcher available in free agency, despite his well-chronicled postseason struggles. According to DiGiovanna, the southpaw is expected to command a six-year contract in the range of $100 million.
UPDATE: Not surprisingly, Wilson likes being liked. His agent Bob Garber tells Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times that, “C.J. is extremely interested (in Angels). We’re going to talk some more.”
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 0
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 38
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)