The most important thing you’ll read about hot stove rumors today

Nov 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT

Rumors Timex Social Club

Sam Miller of the OC Register explains how one tiny bit of nothing about anything can turn into a rumor of a player being connected with a given team in the space of a few tweets, using the example of a Ryan Doumit rumor to trace the path from ether to concrete, such as it is.

It’s funny and illuminating in the extreme.  Mostly because it shows how the various components of the media — actual reporters + bloggers/aggregators + team-specific bloggers can each carry out their own particular mandate responsibly enough and yet we still end up with a pretty wrong rumor out there.

Ultimately I just thank heavens that this racket is mostly a winter time-killing thing and not, you know, nuclear security or something.

1. mkd - Nov 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

This reminds me a lot of Jean Baudrillard’s stages of simulacrum:

(1) basic reflection of reality
    (2) perversion of reality
    (3) pretence of reality (where there is no model)
    (4) simulacrum, which “bears no relation to any reality whatsoever.”

Most news stories follow these stages, but the Doumit rumor is a beautiful micro-example.

• cur68 - Nov 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I learn more random and neat stuff on this website in an hour than I do in my University library in one week. Consider yourself ripped off of that Jean Baudrillard quote, MKD sir. No credit will be given to you, but know that you are being hosed for the credit with my gratitude; silent and cheap, that’s me.

• ncphilliesguy - Nov 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Incredibly interesting thought. From Wikipedia:

Simulacra and recreation: Eco also refers to commentary on watching sports as sports to the power of three, or sports cubed. First, there are the players who participate in the sport, the real; then the onlookers merely witnessing it; then, the commentary itself on the act of witnessing the sport.

2. bigxrob - Nov 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Reading about rumors that will ultimately prove false is far better than the stories from the sports world last week.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 14, 2011 at 3:02 PM

…which likely also include at least some rumors which will prove false.

• CJ - Nov 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM

we can only hope…

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I’m just happy that Timex Social Club gets the nod for the Rumors album instead of Fleetwood Mac. Well done, sir.

4. foreverchipper10 - Nov 14, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I made a twitter account so I could ask you questions. I have yet to use it at all. Maybe I should learn how and learn who to follow on there….*hint hint*

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3769)