Nov 14, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
General manager Terry Ryan revealed during a 1500-ESPN radio interview yesterday that Trevor Plouffe will be an outfielder going forward, which isn’t shocking considering how awful the former first-round pick looked as an infielder for the Twins despite playing 680 games at shortstop in the minors.
He has the tools to be a strong corner outfielder defensively and with Jamey Carroll signed to a two-year, $7 million deal that may be the clearest path to at-bats in 2012, but before the middle of this year Plouffe had never even played the outfield in seven pro seasons.
Moving to the outfield full time also means Plouffe’s bat will be held to a much higher standard and aside from a 50-game stretch at Triple-A this year he’s never really produced like a corner outfielder.
He’s hit .262 with a .767 OPS in 337 games at Triple-A and .226 with a .668 OPS in 103 games in the majors, so unless his two-month breakout in Rochester at age 25 is a sign of things to come Plouffe will have trouble hitting enough to be more than a platoon player.
Fans sitting behind first base at Target Field won’t have to worry about ducking as much, though.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)