Nov 14, 2011, 11:21 AM EST
In choosing Mike Matheny as their new manager the Cardinals may have guaranteed that Terry Francona won’t be in a dugout on Opening Day.
There’s been some speculation about his interest in the Cubs’ opening, but nothing indicates he’s actually a candidate in Chicago and no other gigs are available. Well, except for his old job in Boston.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes that “it seems unlikely Francona would become a bench coach” and “could work for a team as a scout or consultant while waiting for something to open up.” Television is also a possibility, particularly after Francona did so well subbing for Tim McCarver on FOX during the playoffs.
And of course not starting the season as a manager doesn’t rule out ending the season as a manager. Given his experience and success Francona would seemingly be an obvious choice to step in should a contender fire its manager in the middle of the season and it’s easy to imagine his availability causing a team to drop their current guy earlier than they normally might. If he wants to manage again it’s tough to think Francona will be out of work for long.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)