Nov 14, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
In choosing Mike Matheny as their new manager the Cardinals may have guaranteed that Terry Francona won’t be in a dugout on Opening Day.
There’s been some speculation about his interest in the Cubs’ opening, but nothing indicates he’s actually a candidate in Chicago and no other gigs are available. Well, except for his old job in Boston.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes that “it seems unlikely Francona would become a bench coach” and “could work for a team as a scout or consultant while waiting for something to open up.” Television is also a possibility, particularly after Francona did so well subbing for Tim McCarver on FOX during the playoffs.
And of course not starting the season as a manager doesn’t rule out ending the season as a manager. Given his experience and success Francona would seemingly be an obvious choice to step in should a contender fire its manager in the middle of the season and it’s easy to imagine his availability causing a team to drop their current guy earlier than they normally might. If he wants to manage again it’s tough to think Francona will be out of work for long.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)