Nov 14, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Wilson Ramos intends to start playing for Aragua Tigres on Wednesday. This is one of those deals where, after you get over the initial reaction — dude, I’d be the heck out of Venezuela, like, yesterday if I were him — it makes a ton of sense.
After Ramos’ ordeal, you have to figure that some normalcy is in order, and it doesn’t get more normal than playing ball. Also, as we learned on Friday, the security for players who are actually with Venezuelan ballclubs is pretty fantastic. It’s inescapable that Ramos was way more vulnerable at home doing his own thing than he would be hanging around the clubhouse.
Finally, you can’t discount the “lightning doesn”t strike twice” theory. Kidnappings happen in Venezuela every day. Ramos’ was one of the few that led to such a wide and swift reaction among the populace and the government. You have to figure that would-be kidnappers are going to consider Ramos and his family hands-off. Heck, would-be kidnappers may decide to lay off major leaguers overall because the heat is too hot. At least you’d hope so.
Anyway: have a good winter league season, Ramos. See you in Florida come February.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)