Nov 14, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Wilson Ramos intends to start playing for Aragua Tigres on Wednesday. This is one of those deals where, after you get over the initial reaction — dude, I’d be the heck out of Venezuela, like, yesterday if I were him — it makes a ton of sense.
After Ramos’ ordeal, you have to figure that some normalcy is in order, and it doesn’t get more normal than playing ball. Also, as we learned on Friday, the security for players who are actually with Venezuelan ballclubs is pretty fantastic. It’s inescapable that Ramos was way more vulnerable at home doing his own thing than he would be hanging around the clubhouse.
Finally, you can’t discount the “lightning doesn”t strike twice” theory. Kidnappings happen in Venezuela every day. Ramos’ was one of the few that led to such a wide and swift reaction among the populace and the government. You have to figure that would-be kidnappers are going to consider Ramos and his family hands-off. Heck, would-be kidnappers may decide to lay off major leaguers overall because the heat is too hot. At least you’d hope so.
Anyway: have a good winter league season, Ramos. See you in Florida come February.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)