Wily Mo Pena could play in Japan next year

Nov 14, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

wily mo pena head getty AP

Every time Wily Mo Pena comes up I — and a lot of other people — get kind of excited because big long home runs and all-or-nothing kind of players like him are sort of neat on some weird level.  It’s irrational, I know. It’s just one of those times when people who think like I do cast aside the “how valuable is this player, truly” thinking and just say “man, he’s fun!”

But Pena isn’t like to ever stick full time in the bigs. Just too many holes in his swing and no defensive value at all.  Which is why it makes perfect sense that he told ESPN’s Dominican Republic radio station that he may play in Japan next year. The wording was that he may “accept a contract,” so it’s possible that he already has an offer.

Back to irrationality: I hope he hits 50 homers over there and is given some crazy/wonderful nickname by Japanese fans and never has to pay for a meal in Tokyo again.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Free Willy Mo!

2. theonlynolan - Nov 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM

When I saw the headline I immediately thought he’d hit 50 homers in Japan and some major league team would sign him in 2013 to an incentive laden deal.

3. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Nov 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Can HBT make it a thing next season to track Wily Mo’s journey in Japan, if he goes? That would make an excellent feature.

4. theonlynolan - Nov 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I’m with the warrior on this one. A Willy Mo home run tracker would be excellent.

5. jaycutlerslagunabeach - Nov 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Mr Beisburu, I found mr baseball on sale in a bin at Shoppers for 5 dollars the other day totally worth it.
    I agree you should track him that’d be awesome

6. sdelmonte - Nov 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

So did you ever get that way about Rob Deer or Dave Kingman?

7. cur68 - Nov 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

This is great news for WMP. I hope its true and that we do indeed get our WMP news of the day. The bit about him having massive holes in his swing and being of about as much defensive use as a rutabaga is true I suppose, and maybe his Japanese club can tune him up, but I have to call out Adam Dunn here. If Dunn can under perform like he did this last season and still have an MLB job, I don’t see why WMP can’t. At least WMP hits the ball out of the park more often and seems full of joy when he plays as opposed to Dunn who just seems to be full of dinner.

WMP for come back player of the year, 2012!

8. micker716 - Nov 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Long home runs, tons of strike outs, no defensive skills and his name is “Wily Mo”. What is there not to love?

9. tacklemeelmo - Nov 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Wily Mo “特大ホームラン” Pena

I doubt that actually translates in any way that is acceptable but I hope it catches on!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)