Nov 15, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Alex Liddi had a solid season at Triple-A, hitting .259 with 30 homers, and made his big-league debut with the Mariners in September, but the 23-year-old third base prospect is having a rough offseason.
Liddi headed to Venezuela to play winter ball for the Lara Cardenales, but got released from the team after going 6-for-44 (.136).
That actually happens quite a bit with lesser known players, so Liddi moved on and signed with Leones del Escojido in the Dominican winter league … only to get dropped from that team as well.
And as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times points out, this time they only waited three games to cut him after Liddi went 0-for-7 with four errors. Next stop, intramural softball?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)