Nov 15, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Alex Liddi had a solid season at Triple-A, hitting .259 with 30 homers, and made his big-league debut with the Mariners in September, but the 23-year-old third base prospect is having a rough offseason.
Liddi headed to Venezuela to play winter ball for the Lara Cardenales, but got released from the team after going 6-for-44 (.136).
That actually happens quite a bit with lesser known players, so Liddi moved on and signed with Leones del Escojido in the Dominican winter league … only to get dropped from that team as well.
And as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times points out, this time they only waited three games to cut him after Liddi went 0-for-7 with four errors. Next stop, intramural softball?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)