Nov 15, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Alex Liddi had a solid season at Triple-A, hitting .259 with 30 homers, and made his big-league debut with the Mariners in September, but the 23-year-old third base prospect is having a rough offseason.
Liddi headed to Venezuela to play winter ball for the Lara Cardenales, but got released from the team after going 6-for-44 (.136).
That actually happens quite a bit with lesser known players, so Liddi moved on and signed with Leones del Escojido in the Dominican winter league … only to get dropped from that team as well.
And as Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times points out, this time they only waited three games to cut him after Liddi went 0-for-7 with four errors. Next stop, intramural softball?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 61
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)