Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale interviewed yesterday with Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer, becoming the fifth known candidate to replace Mike Quade as Chicago’s manager.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Hale’s interview came via phone, but team president Theo Epstein was quick to point out that the Cubs’ decision-makers are familiar with him from their time together in Boston.
Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin, Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum, Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux, and Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. are the other four candidates to interview with the Cubs. Epstein indicated that there won’t be any further candidates, but also added that he and Terry Francona “continue to talk” despite not going through a formal interview.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27