Nov 15, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale interviewed yesterday with Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer, becoming the fifth known candidate to replace Mike Quade as Chicago’s manager.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that Hale’s interview came via phone, but team president Theo Epstein was quick to point out that the Cubs’ decision-makers are familiar with him from their time together in Boston.
Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin, Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum, Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux, and Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. are the other four candidates to interview with the Cubs. Epstein indicated that there won’t be any further candidates, but also added that he and Terry Francona “continue to talk” despite not going through a formal interview.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)