Nov 15, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey were solid contributors for the Mets in 2010, but after regressing significantly this season, many wondered if one or both would be non-tendered this winter. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, that won’t happen. The Mets will tender contracts to both players.
Pagan, 30, batted .262/.322/.372 with seven homers, 56 RBI, 32 stolen bases and a .694 OPS over 532 plate appearances this season while leading MLB center fielders with 10 errors. He is expected to make between $4-5 million in his final year of arbitration.
It’s unlikely Pagan is a long-term piece for the organization, but the Mets would probably struggle to find another center fielder at similar cost who can provide equal or better production next season. He also figures to be the leadoff man if Jose Reyes signs elsewhere this winter.
Pelfrey, who turns 28 in January, posted a 4.74 ERA and 105/65 over 193 2/3 innings this season. He is due between $5-6 million in his final year of arbitration.
Pelfrey is a pretty frustrating pitcher to watch most of the time and his numbers can fluctuate widely from year-to-year because he is regularly at the mercy of the defense behind him, but he has logged 184 1/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. That has value to the Mets, especially when you consider the uncertainty surrounding Johan Santana‘s shoulder and the weak market for free agent starters.
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 33
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 24
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)