Nov 15, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey were solid contributors for the Mets in 2010, but after regressing significantly this season, many wondered if one or both would be non-tendered this winter. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, that won’t happen. The Mets will tender contracts to both players.
Pagan, 30, batted .262/.322/.372 with seven homers, 56 RBI, 32 stolen bases and a .694 OPS over 532 plate appearances this season while leading MLB center fielders with 10 errors. He is expected to make between $4-5 million in his final year of arbitration.
It’s unlikely Pagan is a long-term piece for the organization, but the Mets would probably struggle to find another center fielder at similar cost who can provide equal or better production next season. He also figures to be the leadoff man if Jose Reyes signs elsewhere this winter.
Pelfrey, who turns 28 in January, posted a 4.74 ERA and 105/65 over 193 2/3 innings this season. He is due between $5-6 million in his final year of arbitration.
Pelfrey is a pretty frustrating pitcher to watch most of the time and his numbers can fluctuate widely from year-to-year because he is regularly at the mercy of the defense behind him, but he has logged 184 1/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. That has value to the Mets, especially when you consider the uncertainty surrounding Johan Santana‘s shoulder and the weak market for free agent starters.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)