Nov 15, 2011, 9:01 PM EDT
Angel Pagan and Mike Pelfrey were solid contributors for the Mets in 2010, but after regressing significantly this season, many wondered if one or both would be non-tendered this winter. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, that won’t happen. The Mets will tender contracts to both players.
Pagan, 30, batted .262/.322/.372 with seven homers, 56 RBI, 32 stolen bases and a .694 OPS over 532 plate appearances this season while leading MLB center fielders with 10 errors. He is expected to make between $4-5 million in his final year of arbitration.
It’s unlikely Pagan is a long-term piece for the organization, but the Mets would probably struggle to find another center fielder at similar cost who can provide equal or better production next season. He also figures to be the leadoff man if Jose Reyes signs elsewhere this winter.
Pelfrey, who turns 28 in January, posted a 4.74 ERA and 105/65 over 193 2/3 innings this season. He is due between $5-6 million in his final year of arbitration.
Pelfrey is a pretty frustrating pitcher to watch most of the time and his numbers can fluctuate widely from year-to-year because he is regularly at the mercy of the defense behind him, but he has logged 184 1/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. That has value to the Mets, especially when you consider the uncertainty surrounding Johan Santana‘s shoulder and the weak market for free agent starters.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)