Nov 15, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Adam McCalvy spoke with Doug Melvin at the GM meetings yesterday to catch up on the Brewers search for a shortstop. The upshot: Milwaukee has only had one phone call with Jose Reyes and no numbers were exchanged.
There has been a bit more with less-sexy options, including Rafael Furcal, whose agent, Paul Kinzer, lunched with Melvin yesterday. The Brew Crew is also keeping in touch with Yuniesky Betancourt. Not because they want him as their shortstop, but because they are no doubt all aware that I am almost totally unable to spell his name no matter how often I write it, and they just like messing with me.
Furcal seems like an intriguing option. Would be way cheaper than Reyes, obviously, though he is injury prone. And certainly isn’t as long-a-term an option. As fallbacks go, however, you could do way worse.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)