Nov 15, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Adam McCalvy spoke with Doug Melvin at the GM meetings yesterday to catch up on the Brewers search for a shortstop. The upshot: Milwaukee has only had one phone call with Jose Reyes and no numbers were exchanged.
There has been a bit more with less-sexy options, including Rafael Furcal, whose agent, Paul Kinzer, lunched with Melvin yesterday. The Brew Crew is also keeping in touch with Yuniesky Betancourt. Not because they want him as their shortstop, but because they are no doubt all aware that I am almost totally unable to spell his name no matter how often I write it, and they just like messing with me.
Furcal seems like an intriguing option. Would be way cheaper than Reyes, obviously, though he is injury prone. And certainly isn’t as long-a-term an option. As fallbacks go, however, you could do way worse.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)