Nov 15, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Adam McCalvy spoke with Doug Melvin at the GM meetings yesterday to catch up on the Brewers search for a shortstop. The upshot: Milwaukee has only had one phone call with Jose Reyes and no numbers were exchanged.
There has been a bit more with less-sexy options, including Rafael Furcal, whose agent, Paul Kinzer, lunched with Melvin yesterday. The Brew Crew is also keeping in touch with Yuniesky Betancourt. Not because they want him as their shortstop, but because they are no doubt all aware that I am almost totally unable to spell his name no matter how often I write it, and they just like messing with me.
Furcal seems like an intriguing option. Would be way cheaper than Reyes, obviously, though he is injury prone. And certainly isn’t as long-a-term an option. As fallbacks go, however, you could do way worse.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel