Nov 15, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Adam McCalvy spoke with Doug Melvin at the GM meetings yesterday to catch up on the Brewers search for a shortstop. The upshot: Milwaukee has only had one phone call with Jose Reyes and no numbers were exchanged.
There has been a bit more with less-sexy options, including Rafael Furcal, whose agent, Paul Kinzer, lunched with Melvin yesterday. The Brew Crew is also keeping in touch with Yuniesky Betancourt. Not because they want him as their shortstop, but because they are no doubt all aware that I am almost totally unable to spell his name no matter how often I write it, and they just like messing with me.
Furcal seems like an intriguing option. Would be way cheaper than Reyes, obviously, though he is injury prone. And certainly isn’t as long-a-term an option. As fallbacks go, however, you could do way worse.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 87
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)