The Giants are going to try to lock up Lincecum

Nov 15, 2011, 3:01 PM EST

Tim Lincecum AP

Tim Linceucm has said or suggested on a number of occasions that, while he’s happy in San Francisco, he’s content to go year-to-year through arbitration and then perhaps sign additional short term deals as his career progresses.  The Giants either don’t take him at his word, find the prospect unsettling or both, because Jon Heyman reports that they’re going to gear up to lock him up long term.

Lincecum just made $14 million in 2011 and he’s arbitration eligible again this year. He’d probably ask for and get $20 million or more, so it’s probably worth the Giants while to try to do something. At least something that keeps his number down a little bit until there’s broader salary relief on the team with older contracts falling off the ledger.

Probably makes sense for Lincecum too. But then again, he doesn’t exactly strike me as someone who looks too far into the future if he can help it.  And that’s mostly a compliment.

1. SmackSaw - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Get a haircut!

• phukyouk - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM

you saying hes going to the yankees?

2. b7p19 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM

“The Giants are going to try to lock up Lincecum”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t the state of California arleady tried to do this?

• dlevalley - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I think it was Oregon… but, ya.

• hep3 - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Actually, I think it was little farther north in Washington.

• jdillydawg - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:14 PM

However, Seattle is incredibly “plant” friendly these days, and we can get him a medical license without problem, I’m quite sure. :)

Hey Tim, come play for the Mariners. King Felix needs help!

• mondogarage - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM

my pony is slow today.

3. lyon810 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

He better cash in on his talents soon because his looks sure aren’t doing him any favours, at least not in that picture.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I find it pretty amazing that a 27-year-old man can look exactly like my 13-year-old nephew.

• cur68 - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Or my 15 year old daughter. Seriously that man needs to grow a little chin beard. He looks like a girl.

• yankeesgameday - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Wow, I sure hope your daughter had an awesome personality.

• lyon810 - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM

…or Tommy from 3rd Rock From the Sun with one too many chromosomes

• aceshigh11 - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I always thought it was obvious he was a dead-ringer for Mitch Kramer, the kid from Dazed and Confused:

4. uyf1950 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM

The report as I understand it is that the Giants want to buy out his first 2 years of FA that means signing him to a 4 year deal this winter. Lincecum would be foolish to let the Giants buy out just 2 years of FA. That would mean he would not hit FA until the 2016 season. In effect the Giants would be getting his “prime” years at a relative bargain. Then he would be 32 years old in June the first year of FA and probably would NOT command anywhere the package he would command if he hit FA for the 2014 season going on 30 years old during that season (2014).

• SOBEIT - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Halladay and Lee would disagree with your age premise.

But do you really think that you are the only one who would realize this? C’mon Lincecum’s agents would be smart enough to negotiate higher value into the 2FA years if they were to be absorbed with a 4yr agreement. Yes, the Giants may save a few million each year, but the value of the contract would incorporate a large percentage of his FA market value…that’s just how it works…even for non-superstars.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

“Halladay and Lee would disagree with your age premise.”

Exceptions don’t make the rule. Also, 30 year old free agent Roy Halladay would still get more years on a contract than 32 year old free agent Roy Halladay.

• uyf1950 - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM

falcon123, exactly.

• paperlions - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:03 PM

But 32 yr old Halladay would have already collected 2 more years of nice fat paychecks…meaning that each version of Halladay would have been paid roughly the same, because the AAV of the contracts would wind up being similar.

• uyf1950 - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM

paperlions, the Giants aren’t offering to buy out 2 years of arbitration and 2 years of FA out of the generosity of their hearts. They want to buy them out to save themselves money over the same 4 year period, and if it saves them money that means it cost Lincecum money. Surely you can see that. I don’t think there can be any doubt that in Lincecum’s situation that if he went year to year for the 2 arbitration years and then went into FA at 30 years old signed a 6 or 7 year deal he would get more over an 8 or 9 year span that way then he will by allowing the Giants to buy out his 1st 4 years and then hitting FA at 32 and signing a 4 or 5 year deal.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

It all depends on how players feel they want to risk. At any moment their career might be derailed by an injury or age related performance loss. A long contract with guaranteed money means they get paid regardless of what happens. It’s all about assessing risk. That’s why I give less weight to AAV, because if something bad happens… well… all that theoretical money he could have earned in FA just went poof!

• uyf1950 - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Francisco, the operative word in your post is “IF” something bad happens. Sure thre is that possibility. But in the example of Lincecum he only has 2 years before he hits FA at the ripe old age of 29 going on 30. Just my opinion but I would guess the odds are more in his favor that the “IF” doesn’t happen. But that’s a decision that he and other ballplayers have to weigh.

My only point is that if fans think that the Giants offer isn’t designed to save them money at the cost to Lincecum’s fair market value both short and long term they’re kidding themselves.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM

uyf – good analysis.

5. JB (the original) - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I don’t follow the Giants all that much and really haven’t read too many articles about Lincecum, but it seems the vast majority of the posters all believe that he wants to maximize his dollars and pitch until he can’t do it anymore and retires. I guess from what I’ve seen of his prior behavior, and his willingness to just go year to year and ‘whatever’, leads me to believe more that he’s enjoying playing, and as long as he doesn’t have to work too hard at it, and is still having fun, he’ll hang around and do it. I mean, he’s already made a pile of money and will never need to work again, and seems like the type of guy that if he gets bored with it, or it gets to be too much work to keep in shape/top form in the off-season, he’ll just walk away and do something else altogether. I haven’t seen any quotes from him saying he ‘wants 300 wins’ or wants to ‘retire as the greatest Giant pitcher ever, or anything like that; not saying those things don’t exist, just saying that I’ve never heard them.

• spudchukar - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Sorry JB, but this reeks of stereotyping. Longish hair, smokes pot, slender in build…Yet, in his 4 full seasons he has averaged 33 starts (never under 32), and averages 225 innings. Maybe you ought to rethink your premise.

• JB (the original) - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Did I say he didn’t care? No. Did I say that he’s lazy? No. Did I say he didn’t want to play or win? No. I did say that some of his behaviors would lead one to believe that he doesn’t necessarily feel the need to pitch until his arm falls off—the way most of the posters seem to, in being so concerned about his contract status looking 5-10 years down the line. Also, I admitted I don’t follow him/Giants that closely. If you wanted to rebut my statements, you’d post links showing where he’s made comments contrary to what I’ve surmised. Like I said, maybe he is a ‘lifer’, but I haven’t seen anything he’s stated that would make me believe that. Absent of him making any sort of statement, I’d say it’s just as likely that he retires “early” as it is seeming him pitching into his late 30’s.

• spudchukar - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM

So you come to a conclusion that he “seems” like the kinda guy who doesn’t like to work too hard, offer zero support for these assessments and then suggest that my criticism lacks any foundation because I failed to provide you links that support said critique?

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t the primary definition of “lazy”, one who doesn’t like to work?

What I did provide were what I believed to be the two most telling statistics that refute your premise. Innings pitched, and starts made. No I do not have any meaningless comments about how much he loves the game, or how he will pitch to his arm falls off, or that he hopes to make Jamie Moyer look like a quitter. Just the solid facts of a guy who so far has taken the ball at every opportunity, without any complaint that I am aware of, which goes a lot farther in my book than some cheap tripe about wanting to pitch to a ripe old age.

If you do not follow the Giants very closely, and have never read anything that Lincecum has said about cutting short his career or other interests that might cause him to leave the game early, then exactly how did your thought process come to the conclusions you first indicated. I simply pointed out that it sure sounds like an unsupported stereotypical bias.

I have just as much evidence to support the notion that he is going to choose to challenge Posey as the Giant everyday catcher, give up pitching and develop into the all-time leader in bombs into McCovey Cove, or his life-long dream of being a tour guide to Alcatraz, as you do suggesting that he is the kind of guy who finds 15-20 years of taking the mound in a MLB game to be contrary to his modus operandi.

6. obamablowz - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM

NOT THAT GOOD OF A PITCHER

• dreadpiratesteve - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM

NOT THAT GOOD OF A COMMENT

7. litemater95 - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

he looks like Severus Snape from Harry Potter !!!

8. metalhead65 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I think if he refuses to sign a long term deal he should immediatly be traded to the reds for Joey Votto. that would solve both teams problems, giants get offense and reds get a #1 starter. hey reds fan can dream can’t he. but he would he would likely blow out his arm playing for dusty so probably better for lincecum if that deal is not made.

9. lanflfan - Nov 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Add some fangs and he would fit right in during any vampire movie.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5434)