The Orioles unveil their new/old cartoon-birdie uniforms

Nov 15, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT

The Orioles have gone back to the future: orange jerseys, for the first time since 1992 and cartoon birds on the caps for the first time since 1988, at least on a regular basis.  Here’s the explanation. Here’s the look:

source:

So whaddaya think?  The caps with the white fields always looked like trucker caps back in the day and they do again.  But it’s not my team and there’s no one making me buy one, so I won’t complain too much.  I do kind of like the cartoon bird, though. Not gonna lie.  How much of that is about aesthetics and how much is nostalgia is an open question, though.

1. b7p19 - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Love ‘em. That orange uni with the white cap is dy-no-mite.

2. Travis Reitsma - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I’m sad to see the perched Oriole go…and you’re right, the white looks campy, but as with you, it’s not my team. And I guess the cartoon does feed into the notion that the Orioles are a joke so it’s accurate if nothing else.

• Panda Claus - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I am a fan, and I hate the white paneled hats. But I guess I’m lucky that I don’t have to buy one because I’ve still got the 80’s hat somewhere buried in a closet. Not that I’ll ever want to wear it again.

3. stlouis1baseball - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I like them!

4. marshmallowsnake - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

The white is a little 10-4, but the cartoon bird is awesome! Glad they brought it back. Next up, the rainbow Astros!!!

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I prefer the gold and navy of the 90’s. My favorite all-time uniform…I know I’m the minute minority.

• florida76 - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM

rollinghighwayblues,

What about the alternate Astros uniform from that era? Blue jersey with star on the chest, and blue hat with gold bill.

• rollinghighwayblues - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Florida,

I honestly love the entire navy and gold era of the Astros. After they ditched the Dome and uniforms, I no longer saw myself as a fan…just wasn’t the same.

Here’s a great pic of the jerseys you mentioned.

5. richeich - Nov 15, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Bravo, I like them!

6. fellspointbird - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Fells Point loves them! I think I can hear Federal Hill screaming for joy from across the harbor!!!

• b7p19 - Nov 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I was drunk in fells point just three nights ago! Max’s has a pretty sweet selection of craft brews. I was pleasantly surprised by my visit to B-more. Much nicer area than I expected.

• fellspointbird - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM

The thing about Baltimore is that it is beautiful, but not every neighborhood is safe (unfortunately). The other thing is that no one from Baltimore actually goes to the Inner Harbor.

And yes, Max’s is great. My personal fav for Fells Point would have to be Slainte (slaun-cha).

I’d also suggest that you check out Quigley’s (it’s always less crowded than Pickles or Sliders) for a well rounded Camden Yards experience. That is inside of Ridgley’s Delight (the neighborhood across the street from Camden), and you can literally follow the little baseball path that takes you to Babe Ruth’s place.

7. jjschiller - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM

So if the players aren’t wearing uniform pants, why don’t they just, ya know, crop the picture? It might look a bit more natural than that weird fade-to-black for about 30% of the frame.. It looks like someone had their finger over the lens.

• bravojawja - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Maybe they won’t have pants. Anything to bring in the fans at this point.

8. cur68 - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Bird should be chomping on a cigar from the look of him. Other than that, I approve of all cartoons, but I especially approve of Jessica Rabbit.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM

If you’re going to make a cartoon at least make him look badass. Cardinals know how to do it:

• cur68 - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Now that’s a tough bird. You know any bird with a look like that on his beak is pitching inside with the heat, just like Tony wants.

• randomdigits - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I guess you have never seen the ’67 cartoon bird.

• cur68 - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

random; that bird needs a cigar! I mean look at that thing. Clearly in a nicotine crisis! Looks less like a baseball bird and more like a central casting extra for the movie “The Warriors”. Can’t you just hear him calling for someone to come out and play?

All that said, I want a shirt with him on it. Be handy for new car negotiations.

• spudchukar - Nov 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

You should see a Spudchukar.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM

’67? That can’t be right. The Steroid era was in the late 90’s right?

9. nagrommit - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM

The bird wears a cap that has the “O’s” logo on it. They obviously used the precedent of the Miami Dolphins helmet, where the dolphin wears a helmet with an M on it.

Recursion is not allowed in sports uniforms, evidently.

• DJ MC - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM

If you look at the older versions of the logo, the hat the bird wore showed a orange blob in the general shape of the cartoon bird. So at least this is something real, and an official cap logo to boot.

10. Jeff J. Snider - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

One time in college, my roommate and our neighbor got in an argument about whether Pink (the singer, not the color) was hot or not. Neighbor was adamant that she was smokin’, and roomie thought she was unattractive. They each had one main argument, and it was the same: “She’s hardly wearing anything!”

I was reminded of that when I realized that you were saying that “they look like trucker caps” was a bad thing. :-)

11. Jonny 5 - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Will the hats make them play better?

• bobwsc - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

the Duke will take care of that

12. DJ MC - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

They are my team, and here’s what I think:

The three main jerseys (home, road, Friday alt) are essentially the same. Slight change to the “Baltimore” script, new Camden Yards 20th anniversary patch, nothing really to say.

I’m not a fan of the orange jerseys, but they don’t bother me too much and I know of a lot of people who have clambered for them. They are fine.

I’m on record here and elsewhere of opposing the cartoon bird, but I can already see the black hats growing on me. I doubt I’m ever going to love it, but we’ll see.

The white-fronts on the other hand…dear Lord those are awful. If they rid themselves of those between now and the start of the season I would be perfectly content with the changes. As it stands, they are a change for the worse that should have been left in 1981 with the White Sox baseball shorts.

13. CrimsonTribe - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM

This change has been long overdue. Love the cartoon bird, love the while panel hats, and love the orange uniforms. We’re the first team to use the white paneled hats since the Blue Jays in the 90s. I already have a throwback white-paneled cartoon bird hat so I’ll have to pick up the new black one.

14. paperlions - Nov 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I think this shows tremendous self awareness, and is proof that Angelos finally recognizes that he is a caricature of an owner, who owns a caricature of a franchise…so why not use a caricature of an oriole as their logo?

15. 8man - Nov 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Pink is hot. And I like the changes. Especially like the black hat and the fact that Baltimore is still on the road jersey.

The great thing about being an O’s fan is long after the season ends you can still wear the gear for Halloween.

16. rcali - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

The marketing money spent on this mess would have been put to a lot better use getting some better scouts and coaches in the minors. Yankees spend no money on irrelavent stuff like this.

• randomdigits - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM

You think the team that wasted 8 million on Vlad last season is wasting money now?

Enough folks will buy the new gear that they will turn a profit on the change.

17. eagles512 - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM

The cartoon bird is the best thing they have going.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2490)