Nov 15, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
When the 2012 schedule came out the Reds and officials in Cincinnati were none too pleased. Why? Because in addition to not getting the first game of the season — which they used to all the time but haven’t for many years now — they weren’t even going to be playing on the whole first day that regular games were played. And what’s more, their first game was going to be on Good Friday, which city fathers feared would interfere with the parade and festivities that go on in the Queen City each Opening Day.
Well, that’s fixed. The Reds just announced that their first game will now be on Thursday, April 5th. That’s the day after the Marlins and Cardinals kick off the season in a prime time Wednesday night game. Seeing as though the Reds likewise open against the Marlins — Miami gets a one-game series to showcase their new joint — it means that they’ll be a bit more rested than their opposition.
But hey: the parade and parties have been saved.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 0
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)