Nov 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Here are some of Williams’ quotes, which certainly don’t sound very optimistic at all:
Listen, it’s professional sports. There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go. I don’t know if this is his time to go. I don’t want this to come out the wrong way because he has been as consistent of a performer as you’d ever want over the time he’s been here.
So if it comes down to he’s not here, we got to make the adjustment. That’s just the business of baseball. But it doesn’t mean we like it. It doesn’t mean that’s our preferred course. It doesn’t mean we won’t want him here. Just means this is kind of the way it has to be.
Interestingly, so far at least there are no reports of Buehrle receiving a huge offer from another team. So either those offers have been kept under wraps or the cost-cutting White Sox simply aren’t in a position to make a serious bid to keep him anyway.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)