Nov 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Here are some of Williams’ quotes, which certainly don’t sound very optimistic at all:
Listen, it’s professional sports. There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go. I don’t know if this is his time to go. I don’t want this to come out the wrong way because he has been as consistent of a performer as you’d ever want over the time he’s been here.
So if it comes down to he’s not here, we got to make the adjustment. That’s just the business of baseball. But it doesn’t mean we like it. It doesn’t mean that’s our preferred course. It doesn’t mean we won’t want him here. Just means this is kind of the way it has to be.
Interestingly, so far at least there are no reports of Buehrle receiving a huge offer from another team. So either those offers have been kept under wraps or the cost-cutting White Sox simply aren’t in a position to make a serious bid to keep him anyway.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)