Nov 16, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield finally got his 200th win on his ninth try on Sept. 13. Now he’s hoping to add a few more to the total. According to agent Barry Meister, Wakefield wants to come back and pitch another season in 2012.
Meister said it would be a “shame” if Wakefield didn’t finish his career with the Red Sox, but that he’s currently focusing on several National League clubs in talks.
Wakefield has spent 17 of his 19 seasons with the Red Sox, and he’s third on the team’s all-time wins list with 186, leaving him just six behind both Roger Clemens and Cy Young. However, while the Red Sox might be open to re-signing him as a utility pitcher, it’s doubtful that they would guarantee him a rotation spot after he finished the last two seasons with ERAs of 5.34 and 5.12. There are surely better opportunities available for him in the other league.
Wakefield, who has about eight months on Omar Vizquel, was the oldest player in either league at age 44 last season. He would take a backseat in 2012, though, if soon-to-be 49-year-old Jamie Moyer can pull off a comeback.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)