Nov 16, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Strauss writes that if Pujols leaves the Cardinals would replace him internally by shifting Lance Berkman to first base and making Allen Craig the everyday right fielder, which is certainly sensible given how well Craig played in a part-time role.
General manager John Mozeliak explained that attempting to re-sign Pujols and potentially pursuing Fielder are a “different set of circumstances.” In other words, the Cardinals don’t simply want an elite, power-hitting first baseman, they want their elite, power-hitting first baseman.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)