Cardinals don’t view Prince Fielder as fallback to Albert Pujols

Nov 16, 2011, 12:46 PM EST

Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols AP

If the Cardinals’ effort to re-sign Albert Pujols fails they won’t pursue Prince Fielder as his replacement at first base, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Strauss writes that if Pujols leaves the Cardinals would replace him internally by shifting Lance Berkman to first base and making Allen Craig the everyday right fielder, which is certainly sensible given how well Craig played in a part-time role.

General manager John Mozeliak explained that attempting to re-sign Pujols and potentially pursuing Fielder are a “different set of circumstances.” In other words, the Cardinals don’t simply want an elite, power-hitting first baseman, they want their elite, power-hitting first baseman.

1. stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Sooo…IF the intial (speculation) of the Marlins offering of $25 Million per is accurate…Lance it is huh?

• b7p19 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Are you making that dollar amount up? I haven’t seen any numbers on what the Marlins have offered. Just curious.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Yeah…it is speculation…but I posted the link on the other AP article. Reference the 9 years article (I believe that was the one). Towards the bottom you will see my post.

2. cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Makes sense, but now it is time for him to step up or give up on Albert. Lets see how a Marlins uniform fits.

• b7p19 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Says the Reds fan…

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Let’s no Cincy. I wouldn’t want you to piss yourself in excitement.

• cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Lets not get too nasty about it. If you wish to be angry, tell the Cards management. They are being the cheapskates. The Ress can afford to pay him, but then we have an all star 1st baseman.

• cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I am sorry, I should have said, the Reds already have a Gold Glove all star first baseman.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Not getting nasty at all Cincy. I sincerely apologize for the missunderstanding. What I meant was…you have been salivating at the mouth at just the thought of the Cardinals (and NL Central) being without A.P. Hence…the piss yourself in excitement comment.
        And considering you guys were well under the Cardinals payroll this year I would venture to guess…NO you can’t afford to pay him. But you have Joey for a couple of more years anyway.

3. cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This is a statement calculated to stroke Pujols’s ego. The old “I could never replace you I can only try to get by” speech that Beldar made to Prymatt when she questioned him as to his actions on her hypothetical death. In fact I would say that moving Fat Elvis to 1st to replace Phat Al is the equivalent to saying this:

“If, for some reason your life functions ceased, my most precious one, I would collapse, I would draw the shades and I would live in the dark. I would never get out of my slar pad or clean myself. My fluids would coagulate, my cone would shrivel, and I would die, miserable and lonely. The stench would be great.”
    -B. Conehead, 1993

• b7p19 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’m sorry, but is that a Coneheads quote? Is that movie popular in Canada?

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM

LOL! Yep…only popular in Canada.
        What do you expect?
        Cur spells “Color” with a “u” on the end. You know I am only kidding Cur. LOL!

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM

HEY! I liked that movie and… oh yeah, now I live in Canada…. but at the time I liked it I WASN’T living in Canada…

• cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Well! Now I am drawing myself in hauteur. There is only one way to spell “Colour”. The correct way. With a “u” after the “o”. Do ya not know the Queen’s English, man? Kids these days…

And, FYI, The Coneheads is one of the finest movies ever produced and stars that quintessential Canadian; Mr. Danny Akroyd. Defy me in this and you shall have to NARFTLE THE GARTHOK!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Seriously Coneheads is one of the best movies ever. And if you don’t believe it then Cur will grab you by the base of your snarglies and make you like the movie. Or at least make you think twice about trash talking it.. either way, not pleasant.

• cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

There is no way in hell I’m touching anyone’s snarglies….well, maybe Jessica Alba’s…

• spudchukar - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

OK Cur, I can deal with the “U”, but unless I am sadly mistaken Elwood spells his name Aykroyd.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Cur: Another spelling comment/question.
        In the Industry I am in…we “Anodize” Aluminum in different finishes. This is done by putting the material in “Anodizing” tanks. However, my Canadian counterparts in Toronto, Montreal and Lethbridge spell it “Anodising.”
        What gives? Another one we should chaulk up to the Queen?

• umrguy42 - Nov 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

stlouis1… I suspect that cur & co. might not know this “aluminum” of which you speak. If you mentioned anodising aluminium, however…

• cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM

“Aluminum” without the extra “i” is how we say it round here, but this may be a regional affectation. As far as I am aware, only the Kiwi’s, Ozzies and English throw in the extra “i”. As for “Anodising”, yeah that’s an Oz,/Kiwi/Candian/UK thing I believe.

Hey, for amusement sake, try writing your graduate thesis using “Canadian” English sometime. You spend about a week trying to explain to your committee members who are from 1) New York, 2) China, 3) India & 4) Eastern Canada that there really are words like “flavour” & “colour” that are spelled as such in Canada but we do not use the spelling conventions “Foetus” or “”Haemorrhage”. Then try to get them to agree on which to use. Get back to me when you graduate, if we all live that long.

4. aceshigh11 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Better Fielder than nothing, right?

I understand why they’re saying it, but it would be foolish not to pursue Fielder if they legitimately can’t reach an agreement with Pujols.

If you can’t get your first choice, then going after your second choice should be a no-brainer, and Fielder is CLEARLY the next-best thing after Pujols.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Berkman and Craig are already under contract. I think the smarter move would be to move Berkman to 1st, start Craig in right and look to upgrade at SS or 2B instead.

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM

If they were going to over-pay a guy, why not over-pay the better player? By the time AP is in serious decline, Fielder will probably be DH-only material. I think they are just saying, if we are going to sign a long, expensive, risky contract…we are going to do it with the iconic, awesome player, not the fat guy that oscillates between good years and okay years.

5. cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I don’t think that the Marlins are joking, they want Albert. The redbirds will not go after Prince, because if they wanted to pay a lot of money for a 1st baseman, they keep Albert. the Marlins are in excellent position to sign Albert with the low salary they are starting with. The Cardinals are near the top of their ability to pay him more. Probably, the redbirds can go as high as 125 Mil or so, max.

• cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

That is 125 Mil per yer for a team payroll.

6. unlost1 - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM

KTRS reports insider rumor that Pujols has reached an agreement with the Cards & will be announced Friday

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester