Cubs offer manager’s gig to Brewers’ Dale Sveum

Nov 16, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT

dale sveum getty Getty Images

The Cubs’ search for a new skipper could be over.

According to Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated, Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum was offered the vacant position at some point Wednesday night.

Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona took himself out of the running on Wednesday morning and Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux has reportedly decided to return home to Texas.

Sveum, 47, has only managed for a couple of weeks on an interim basis, but he’s been in the coaching profession at the major league level since 2001 and is generally regarded as a thoughtful baseball strategist. He was also a candidate for Boston’s managerial opening, but they’re now expected to continue that search for another couple of weeks.

Look for Sveum to make a decision on the offer soon, probably within the next 12-24 hours.

1. blueintown - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Damn. I was convinced they were going to make Zambrano player-manager.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Naw, the potential for violent confrontations with himself took him out of the running.

2. blueintown - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Also, someone please tell me how to pronounce his name so I know what to yell next summer when I throw my shoe at the TV.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

It’s my understanding that would be “swame” as in rhyming with blame (the goat), shame (for 104 years), etc.

3. shawon0meter - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Is Prince Fielder included?

4. thegreatness34 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Now they just need 3 starting pitchers, 3 setup men, and a closer, and a firstbaseman.

• hopespringseternal - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:31 AM

. . . and a third baseman, and an outfield, and a pitching coach . . .

• skip5805 - Nov 17, 2011 at 7:49 AM

And Partridge and Pear Tree!!!!

5. uyf1950 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Lucky for Sveum that Francona took himself out of the running for the Cubs job. A job Francona never even interviewed for nor was he offered.

• istillbelieveinblue - Nov 17, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Francona never formally interviewed, but he had numerous conversations with Theo and Hoyer.

6. 1historian - Nov 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Francona is going to take a year off, let the dust settle, and a year from now he will be one HOT ticket

7. proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Are the Red Sox becoming the Orioles Lite? They have been rejected by Theo and Sveum.

• mabunar - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

How has Sveum rejected the Sox? So far, they have rejected him.

8. paperlions - Nov 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM

According to reports aired on WEEI this morning, Sveum is meeting with the Red Sox again and has been given some time frame to choose which job he wants (if the RS decide to make him an offer as well).

But really, the big news in Boston today is that Heidi Watney NESN for a job in California. Everyone in the NE is very sad and more upset by this that the “loss” of Theo or Tito.

• mabunar - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Worse…she’s going to be sideline reporter for the Lakers!

Man, I hope the RS don’t make an offer just because the Cubs did. I think I’d rather see Makinen than Sveum.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Heidi is gone??? Oh my!!! On the other hand you recovered from Hazel’s departure and Heidi can also be replaced. By the way, Hazel is now back in Toronto.

9. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

WHO is this guy to take over the Cubs? I think this is just a tryout

10. stackers1 - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

A little story about Dale Sveum.

In 1998, he briefly played for the Yankees. A good friend of mine was a waiter in a New Jersey resturant & Sveum & some other Yankee players came in regularly. My buddy got friendly with Sveum & because he didn’t know anyone in the NY area, he gave my friend all his comp. tickets to Yankee home games. And because I had a car (and had quit drinking) my buddy would call me & ask me if I wanted to go (meaning drive) to a free Yankee game. My buddy would get 4 freebies for every game, and better seats than I was used to. He would sell 2 tickets to the scalpers & that would take care of our GWB toll, beverage & hot dog money. And if you remember, 1998 was a great year for the Bronx Bombers. I went to more games that year than any other in my life & had a blast because it was all free. I was really pissed when the Yankees let him go.

No point to my story – just want to say good luck to Dale in Chicago & thanks for 98.

11. materialman80 - Nov 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Who in their right mind would want to manage the Cubs……

12. lostsok - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Queue the Red Sox fans pretending they never wanted him anyway is 3…2…1…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3283)