Nov 16, 2011, 8:07 PM EST
According to beat writer Wally Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com, Chavez’s agent has been telling front office executives that the 33-year-old will “definitely” return for his 15th major league season and is ready to begin reviewing free agent offers.
Chavez registered a poor .263/.320/.356 batting line across 175 plate appearances this year and missed nearly three months with a foot fracture, but he should be able to find an incentives-based one-year contract from a team desperate for corner infield depth. It’s not yet known whether the Yankees have interest.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)