Phillies close to re-signing backup catcher Brian Schneider

Nov 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

schneider phillies Getty Images

Philadelphia was apparently satisfied with Brian Schneider backing up Carlos Ruiz for the past two seasons, because Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Phillies are close to re-signing the 34-year-old catcher.

Schneider signed a two-year, $2.75 million deal with the Phillies as a free agent in December of 2009, but he’s coming off a career-worst season in which he hit just .176 while throwing out only 13 percent of steal attempts in 41 games playing behind Ruiz.

Ruiz has played at least 100 games and caught at least 800 innings in each of his five full seasons, so the Phillies are willing to settle on Schneider rather than looking for a younger catcher with more upside.

1. jeffhink - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM

It would have been nice to bring in someone new that was good at at least one of offense and defense. Schneider seems to have neither. I like the guy, but it will be bad news in Ruiz goes down long term and Schneider has to play every day.

2. chaseutley - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Schneider is terrible, but reportedly Cliff Lee went to bat for the guy. When you’ve got $96+million wrapped up in a pitcher over the next four years, burning $2-3mil and a roster spot for his favorite catcher seems like a small price to pay.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Really? I don’t recall Schneider catching the majority of Lee’s games. Where did you get that nugget?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Lee did go to bat for B.S., I heard, but I don’t think he’s Lee’s choice above Ruiz by any means.

• chaseutley - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’m not sure where I read it, so take it with a grain of salt. For the record, I checked and Schneider only caught 5 of Lee’s 32 starts this year which more or less debunks any “personal catcher” type of scenario.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Oh hey Chase….how is the wonky knee? Schneider seems to be the personal catcher for Vance Worley.

• bleedgreen - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Worley went to bat for him too. Worley may not have much clout, but when 2 of your 4 confirmed starters for next year want a guy around, you kinda gotta keep him. Especially since he’s cheap.

3. Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Why Brian Schneider? I know he’s BFF with Worley but other than that.. I mean really? No bat, no defense, no speed, I mean what the-

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM

He’s no Matt Treanor, that’s for sure.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Well, this just means the Phillies will probably need a back up to the back up catcher. If Chooch goes down, B.S. probably couldn’t handle the workload by himself.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Such an unfortunate set of initials… and yet how appropriate. I’m guessing they’ll go with the Eric Kratz in that scenario J5… I mean who would spend on a FA to be THIRD catcher in a team?

5. The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I don’t know what all of you guys are smoking, but the Phillies record last season with Schneider as the starting catcher was 28-8 which is a .778 winning percentage. A good backup catcher is someone who knows how to handle a pitching staff. The Phillies are not looking for a whole lot of offense out of him, especially since backup catchers do not pinch hit an awful lot. Obviously they would like him to hit better than .176, but as long as the Phillies are winning games while he is back there he is a very adequate backup catcher.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Amazing would they would have been able to do with a decent C in there. He posted a -0.9 WAR in 41 games…only throw out 3 of 23 base runners and isn’t good at framing pitches or blocking balls. He is unlikely to repeat his .225 BABIP because that is unspeakably awful, so his offense should pick up a tad but still. He sucks, there is no two ways around it. The winning percentage was more a function of luck.

• The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I love all of you statheads who throw the most ridiculous stats out there. How about the fact that Schneider calls a good game and the pitchers like throwing to him? How can you put that into a statistic? I think the only statistic that really matters for a backup catcher is wins and losses.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Baseball Gods, you threw out a ridiculous stat too. I also think you’re off on this one.

• The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM

What ridiculous stat did I throw out there? I only showed what the Phillies record was with Schneider as the starting catcher. What’s more important than wins and losses in baseball?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

What is ridiculous is ascribing a team statistic to one player….a player who had an OPS of .500 and was terrible defensively by the conventional metrics and ones that show such things as pitch framing (receiving the ball) and balls in the dirt. He was terrible last year, no matter what the W/L say. That is liking saying Adam Eaton had an average year in 2007 when he was 10-10 while ignoring the ERA over 6.

• The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM

You do realize that we are talking about a backup catcher, right? Once again I’ll ask where the statistics are for somebody calling a good game and the pitchers performance being better because they like throwing the ball to him? Oh, right statistics can’t uncover every single nook and cranny that happens on the baseball field. How about actually watching the games and worrying about the Phillies winning and losing as opposed to following all of these ridiculous statistics. And by the way, I worked directly with Harvey Pollack and probably know more about statistics than any of you know in your little pinkies.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM

“What ridiculous stat did I throw out there? ”

You used the crazy newfangled stat” WALWSC”. Stands for, wins and losses with Schneider catching. You damn stat heads are crazy with all of our stats these days….

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM

* our = your EDIT FUNCTION!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I’m willing to bet that the pitchers performed no better with Brian Schneider as C than Chooch. In fact, I will look back through the game logs in an attempt to prove my point. Back-up catcher is an important position. The very nature of the catching spot makes it likely that even barring injury to Chooch, Schneider will play in a significant amount of games. Add a likely Chooch injury at the spot takes on that much more importance.

• seanmk - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

you know what’s a “ridiculous stat”, atributing a team win to an individual, such what you just did the baseball gods. you even said they won IN SPITE of him hitting .176, and not having a stolen base percentage. basically then they should start schneider EVERY game if he’s so good!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Oh no…… Not this again…….
      I guess since the Yankees had a good record with Posada, they should have kept him catching too? Winning in spite of having a barely adequate catcher does not make that catcher good. I really Like Brian S. but I’m not going to kid myself into thinking they won because of him. The word is out on him now too. He’s giving up stolen bases at historic levels on top of having no bat.

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:08 PM

All Brian Schnieder knows is that the Phillies were in 1st place when he was starting.

• jeffhink - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM

paperlions… the Phillies were in first place for every game they played last season.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Jeff,
        I think that was the point.

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Yes, that was the point (just because something is true, doesn’t mean it is meaningful)….and also, to quote the imminently quoteable Ryan Theriot.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I’m glad Philadelphia likes him – he was seriously sub par as a Met.As far as his winning percentage – I’d hate to have to hang my hat on that if I were pleading for a job.

6. The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Maybe instead of just bashing Brian Schnieder somebody should actually give a reasonable idea for a replacement, since I haven’t seen that on here yet.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Anybody. Hell, Kelly Shopach (sp) would even be an upgrade.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Or since the totality of his performance over the last couple seasons is below minor league replacement level, they could give their AAA catcher a shot..save 500,000 and use that money elsewhere. It might not seem like much money but it could be the difference in obtaining another bench piece and sticking with the crap they had last year.

• dbick - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM

this is the new phillies my man, 500 grand doesn’t mean a damn thing to them.

• paperlions - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Exactly, the Cardinals have 2 or 3 catchers in their minors that are every bit as good defensively and offensively as the journeyman old back up catchers….finally, they are going to just use one of those guys instead of bringing in dead weight

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Chris Snyder…

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Yes, I was kidding. But on a serious note DR. is right, bring up a kid. There isn’t a huge market for catchers.

• The Baseball Gods - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM

You do realize that Snyder made over 6 Million last season, right?

7. dbick - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Yeah he’s bad. But looking at the free agent catchers out there, there isn’t much improvement. Has familiarity with the team, so I’m cool with it. Most offensively gifted catchers are actually starters.

8. ncphilliesguy - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I really thought they would let Kratz and Tuffy fight it out in the spring to save a couple of million. Tuffy played in some international all-star thing, ended up as the starting catcher when D’Arnaud got hurt, and aquitted himself well, I believe. I like Schnieder personally, but I think this is a bad move.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win