Quote of the Day: Jeff Loria on the Marlins’ new colors

Nov 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Image (1) Loria.jpg for post 4206

This is actually the quote of last Friday, but I had missed it and it’s way too awesome to pass up.  Here’s Marlins owner Jeff Loria, describing the team’s new color scheme:

“We are the red-orange of the breathtaking Miami sunsets and the citrus industry; the blue of the sky and the sea; and the yellow of the beautiful Miami sunshine.”

And some of you people don’t like that a person involved in the art industry owns a baseball team.  He classes the joint up!

1. Detroit Michael - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Perhaps Loria also said this:
    “… but not the powder blue of the Montreal Expos. I killed that franchise before buying the Marlins and don’t want to be reminded of them.”

2. thejotapee - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM

“We are the Rainbow Warriors!”

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I thought that was the Care Bear’s motto?

• kiwicricket - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM

That was sunk by the French

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

The Hawaii University football team?

3. JBerardi - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

href=”http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/art-dealing.html”This is how I imagine most of Loria’s art dealings go down (warning: video link). Dealings with shady characters and an utter lack of taste.

• JBerardi - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM

uhhg, I guess it’s my turn to bitch about the lack of an edit function around here…

4. badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

That actually made me giggle.

5. cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

He classes the joint up, eh? I can’t leave that alone. He looks like a stuffed, fatuous jack o lantern. Not sure what he’s stuffed with but it could be the entire MLB franchise he ate in Montreal. Mike Young has more class.

Also, in what world does the combination of colors he describes, as used on the Marlin’s logo’s, leave him with any credibility in the art industry? Good thing that’s an industry that relies, to some degree, on a lack of talent rather than a surfeit of it, if that fishy horror picture show mural is anything to go by. Sorry: “feeshy” horror picture show.

• Old Gator - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

There is no citrus “industry” in Macondo and hasn’t been for generations. To make matters worse, much of our backyard citrus was destroyed by buzzsaw-happy lunatics hunting the dreaded citrus canker infection. Half of our orange juice comes from California and Israel.

And grapefruits are yellow, you New York knucklehead.

6. bloodysock - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

“Well, to tell you the truth, Mr. Loria, I … I was surprised to hear you use a word like breathtaking to describe a logo, I mean, because you also used it referring to me.”

“Well, you know Elaine, sometimes you say things just to be nice.”

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM

This is the new quote of the day.

7. dan1111 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

“The orange of being perpetually under construction. The blue of causing bouts of depression among our fans. The yellow of gold bars filling my coffers! Mwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Oops, is this mic still on?”

8. deathmonkey41 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Absolutely Fabulous!

9. scatterbrian - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Loria’s clearly not a graphic artist. If he were, he would have just said “I just thought the colors looked kind of dope together.”

10. spudchukar - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM

…And the Black of my heart.

11. Francisco (FC) - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I’m waiting for Old Gator’s take on this. It’s sure to be fabulous :D

• Old Gator - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Be patient. I’m working on a major essay on the checkered career of art dealer Scrooge McLoria to be seen here soon. I promise you it will be worth the wait.

12. Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Look, Miami is well known as the gay capitol of the east coast. So Rainbows fit. Obviously. Actually my ex neighbors, which were gay, moved to Miami 2 years ago.

• 18thstreet - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Yes, there are only two gay people living outside of San Francisco, and they both live in Miami.

• 18thstreet - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’m guessing your ex-neighbors are still gay.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I’m not sure where you’re going with this, but it’s well known that Miami has a huge gay populace. Is there something wrong with stating the obvious? Or is it only when it has to deal with the gay community?

• spudchukar - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Surprisingly the city with the largest LGBT population is Houston, Tx.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Actually, that does kind of surprise me Spuds. Although it’s a HUGE city, the population isn’t. And of course there’s the whole being in Texas thing too….

• firedude7160 - Nov 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Jonny
        I believe 18thstreet was referring to your use of the phrase “were gay.” I believe he thinks you should have used “are gay” instead

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Well Jonny…that explains you qualifying Pat Summit as the winningest D-1 Coach. LOL!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I never mentioned D-1. I was trying to point out a fact.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Tomatoes/Tomaatoes…Potatoes/Potaatoes.

13. ramrene - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I’m setting the over-under before they change logo’s and colors again at 6-years?

Thumbs up for “over”
    Thumbs down for “under”

• kopy - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I think you nailed it at 6. If it was 5.5 I’d say over. No way they last longer than 10 though.

14. mojosmagic - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM

All I see are 9 Telly Tubby’s?

15. theonlynolan - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM

He looks like the crazy old man who lives down the street from me and always shakes his fist at the neighborhood kids for straying too close to his lawn.

16. wethog66 - Nov 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I thought the Astros had the sole right to the rainbow color scheme in MLB. Hope Loria cleared his new colors with them.

All joking aside, when I first saw the new Marlin uniforms my first thought was WTF? Who in their right mind thought that uniform/color scheme was smart to kick off a brand new baseball only stadium in the heart of Miami? I can’t imagine that BS will last past 5 years. Next to the Anaheim Ducks, the Miami Marlins uniforms are the ugliest things in sports today. Congradulations.

17. sebastiansteveo - Nov 16, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Jeff Loria said:

“We are the red-orange of the breathtaking Miami Lizards and the fishing industry; the blue of the mood and the crabs; and the yellow of the beautiful Miami yield signs.”

18. lyon810 - Nov 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Fuck you and your son in law. You robbed me and my children of the greatest game. You’re a crook and lack any discernible taste as evidenced by your team’s new uniforms.

• Old Gator - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Uh huh. And have you seen the kinetic home run display yet? Trust me, the uniforms say nothing about his lack of taste by comparison.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3439)