Nov 16, 2011, 2:15 AM EDT
When we woke up Tuesday morning, we learned that the Marlins reportedly made a six-year, $90 million offer for Jose Reyes. Well, their offer for Albert Pujols almost certainly blows that one out of the water.
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Marlins’ offer to Pujols “is believed to be” for nine years.
Unfortunately Brown’s report doesn’t tell us anything about the proposed dollar amount, but what we do know is that Pujols turned down a nine-year offer from the Cardinals in February. We’ve been under the impression that Pujols was offered approximately $210 million (or $23.3 million per season) at the time, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported Tuesday night that the Cardinals didn’t even top $200 million.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported over the weekend that the Cardinals weren’t going to improve the offer their previous offer unless forced to do so by a competing bid. We’ve regularly wondered where that bid would come from since the Yankees and Red Sox are presumed to be out of the mix. The Marlins are clearly trying to create some buzz for their new ballpark, so even if Pujols wants to stay in St. Louis, his agent Dan Lozano may have found the perfect leverage here.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)