Nov 16, 2011, 2:15 AM EST
When we woke up Tuesday morning, we learned that the Marlins reportedly made a six-year, $90 million offer for Jose Reyes. Well, their offer for Albert Pujols almost certainly blows that one out of the water.
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Marlins’ offer to Pujols “is believed to be” for nine years.
Unfortunately Brown’s report doesn’t tell us anything about the proposed dollar amount, but what we do know is that Pujols turned down a nine-year offer from the Cardinals in February. We’ve been under the impression that Pujols was offered approximately $210 million (or $23.3 million per season) at the time, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported Tuesday night that the Cardinals didn’t even top $200 million.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported over the weekend that the Cardinals weren’t going to improve the offer their previous offer unless forced to do so by a competing bid. We’ve regularly wondered where that bid would come from since the Yankees and Red Sox are presumed to be out of the mix. The Marlins are clearly trying to create some buzz for their new ballpark, so even if Pujols wants to stay in St. Louis, his agent Dan Lozano may have found the perfect leverage here.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (91)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)