Nov 16, 2011, 2:15 AM EDT
When we woke up Tuesday morning, we learned that the Marlins reportedly made a six-year, $90 million offer for Jose Reyes. Well, their offer for Albert Pujols almost certainly blows that one out of the water.
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Marlins’ offer to Pujols “is believed to be” for nine years.
Unfortunately Brown’s report doesn’t tell us anything about the proposed dollar amount, but what we do know is that Pujols turned down a nine-year offer from the Cardinals in February. We’ve been under the impression that Pujols was offered approximately $210 million (or $23.3 million per season) at the time, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported Tuesday night that the Cardinals didn’t even top $200 million.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported over the weekend that the Cardinals weren’t going to improve the offer their previous offer unless forced to do so by a competing bid. We’ve regularly wondered where that bid would come from since the Yankees and Red Sox are presumed to be out of the mix. The Marlins are clearly trying to create some buzz for their new ballpark, so even if Pujols wants to stay in St. Louis, his agent Dan Lozano may have found the perfect leverage here.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 58
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)