Nov 16, 2011, 1:20 AM EST
The specifics of the offer aren’t known, but Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington indicated last Friday that he has maintained contact with Ortiz’s representatives in hopes of reaching a quick resolution. Chances are he’s pretty familiar with what it will take to bring him back to Boston.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Ortiz’s agent, Fernando Cuza, was scheduled to meet tonight with the Red Sox and Orioles at the general managers’ meetings in Milwaukee, so the negotiations will surely continue.
Ortiz, who turns 36 on Friday, earned $12.5 million this season while batting .309/.398/.554 with 29 home runs, 96 RBI and a .953 OPS over 605 plate appearances.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27