Nov 16, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
For teams like the Blue Jays that are in the market for a veteran closer but scared off by free agent demands Huston Street could emerge as a top target, with Troy Renck of the Denver Post reporting that the Rockies “would like to move Street to create payroll flexibility to pursue a starting pitcher.”
Street served up too many homers this year and also dealt with a triceps injury, which led to the Rockies gaining confidence in Rafael Betancourt as closer.
Street still ended the season with a 3.86 ERA and 55/9 K/BB ratio in 58 innings, which is plenty impressive for a guy calling Coors Field home. In three seasons with the Rockies he has a 3.50 ERA and 170/33 K/BB ratio in 167 innings and prior to that Street posted a 2.88 ERA in 269 innings for the A’s.
When healthy he’s pretty consistently been an elite reliever and Street is still just 28 years old, so with a contract that pays him $7.5 million in 2012 and has a $9 million mutual option or $500,000 buyout for 2013 he’d make sense for a lot of teams.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)