Terry Francona won’t manage in 2012

Nov 16, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT

Terry Francona AP

Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com spoke with Terry Francona, who says that he will not seek to manage in 2012 “for my benefit.”

Francona interviewed with the Cardinals and said he would have liked that job, but they went with Mike Matheny. He says he’s been in contact with Theo Epstein in Chicago, but says it’s not the right opportunity. As such, he’s preemptively bowing out of any other jobs should they become vacant.

I think it’s probably a good call by Francona because (a) everyone could use a break and (b) I think Francona was pretty awesome on TV in the playoffs and would love to see more of him.  But one wonders how much of a choice this really was.

I mean, if you’re Theo Epstein, and you don’t really want to hire Francona, don’t you maybe suggest to him — out of courtesy — to make such an announcement before you hire, say, Mike Maddux?  So no one could write the “Epstein snubs Tito, goes with Maddux” stories?

Fine. Call me a conspiracy theorist. I don’t care.  Whatever the case, enjoy the year off, Terry.

1. yankeesfanlen - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

George S. Patton was murdered in an U. S, military hospital after a minor car accident in Germany by the KGB.
    Hey, there’s no Yankees games on TV that I haven’t seen!

• cur68 - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Len, I have no doubt that you are telling the truth. Now, all I want to know is, who got Patton’s ivory handled pistols?

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Those, along with his silver helmet, are in a vault whose coordinates are only accessible by GPS by a phone number in area code 710.

2. SmackSaw - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Replace Tim McCarver

• Kyle - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Sweet Lord, please.

• Old Gator - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM

What the hell does Terry Francona know about the civil war?

Then again, we are looking for a Grand Marshall for the first annual Churchill’s Pub Invasive Species Festival Parade, celebrating Florida’s diversity…..

3. mdpickles - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM

He secretly wants to come back to Philly after next year (when Charlie retires) to show everyone that he can manage small ball and double switches.

4. aceshigh11 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Take a load off, Tito. You’ve earned it.

RSN will be missing him sorely next year, I think.

5. mcs7584 - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if we all could go a year without a job … and be OK?

• Old Gator - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:15 PM

You can. You just have to get over having been brainwashed since childhood with bourgeois dependencies on food and shelter.

6. cintiphil - Nov 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I think that it smart to take a year off and see what happens next year, to see where he might want to jump in as manager.

7. North American Bowl - Nov 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Damn you Cubbies…………..

8. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Craig you were right in one of your previous posts. It looks like Terry is burnt out. Hopefully, after a year or two away he’s get the old fire back. Both the Cubs and Sox manager spots will be open again in a couple of years (actually, the Cubs will name a new manager after All Star break).

9. hushbrother - Nov 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I suspected from the beginning that leaving the Red Sox was as much as anything a money decision by Terry. After the way the season ended, there was no way he could have expected a raise or a contract extension. It made sense for him to take a much needed year off and then go job hunting with his impressive resume next year.

I bet some team offers him a nice deal. Heck, maybe it will even be the Red Sox.

10. bikezilla11 - Nov 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM

GOOD. I hope he never manages again after the way he screwed up the last 2 seasons for the Red Sox.
    Go Away. “WORST” collapse in baseball history.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet