Nov 16, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com spoke with Terry Francona, who says that he will not seek to manage in 2012 “for my benefit.”
Francona interviewed with the Cardinals and said he would have liked that job, but they went with Mike Matheny. He says he’s been in contact with Theo Epstein in Chicago, but says it’s not the right opportunity. As such, he’s preemptively bowing out of any other jobs should they become vacant.
I think it’s probably a good call by Francona because (a) everyone could use a break and (b) I think Francona was pretty awesome on TV in the playoffs and would love to see more of him. But one wonders how much of a choice this really was.
I mean, if you’re Theo Epstein, and you don’t really want to hire Francona, don’t you maybe suggest to him — out of courtesy — to make such an announcement before you hire, say, Mike Maddux? So no one could write the “Epstein snubs Tito, goes with Maddux” stories?
Fine. Call me a conspiracy theorist. I don’t care. Whatever the case, enjoy the year off, Terry.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)