The Red Sox have called about Freddy Garcia

Nov 16, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT

Freddy Garcia AP

The Boston Herald says that the Red Sox, looking to get some “buy-low” starting pitching, have called Freddy Garcia‘s agent.

I would presume that the Yankees have at least some degree of interest in bringing Garcia back given that he was pretty darn useful last year.  Which makes one wonder if you can really “buy-low” on a commodity that both the Red Sox and the Yankees both seem to want.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Ha, I new it was only a matter of time. Probably cost the Sox about $6M maybe just a little bit more to sign him if he and Cashman don’t work out a deal at some point.

BTW, it’s my preference that the Yankees do NOT resign him. You only get to catch lightening in a bottle once.

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Sorry it should be … “knew”…

• dan1111 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I think Garcia is a little better than lightning in a bottle. When healthy, he’s always been solid, and he’s only 35.

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I was referring to the initial cost. In Garcia’s case with the Yankees it was initiall a minor league deal with no guarantee. Then he was only guaranteed $1.5M the rest approximately $3.6 was incentive based on the number of starts he made. That type of contract won’t cut it again this year with Garcia.

• phukyouk - Nov 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM

UYF – i would bring him back if the Yanks don’t sign Buhrle or something similar. worst case he doesn’t work out (see Chicon, Shaun and Small, Aaron) you dump him and let Noesi pitch or pick soemeone up at the deadline.

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM

phukyouk – I guess if the Yankees are intent on signing someone for the “back of the rotation” for 1 year I’d much rather they look at a lefty then. Haven’t taken a real close look at who might be available but maybe somebody like Joe Saunders if he’s non-tendered. The name is not important I’m referring more to the fact he’s a lefty and that would be my preference on a short 1 year deal for the back of the rotation.

2. uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Sorry it should be … “knew”…

3. Ari Collins - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM

*shrug* If he can be had for the right deal, he’d it in nicely at the back of the rotation.

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM

1 year for say $6M plus or minus with a 2nd year vesting option. What do you think now?

• Ari Collins - Nov 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Prefer it to be a mutual option with a buyout, but something along those lines, sure.

4. Kevin S. - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM

See: Russell Martin, last year.

• Ari Collins - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I’m not sure if this was your point or the opposite of your point, but Martin was still a relatively discounted player despite interest from the Sox and Yankees.

• Kevin S. - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM

No, that was my point – that the Yankees and Red Sox could both be in on a buy-low player.

5. yankeesfanlen - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Until there is a suitable replacement signed, keep him in the mix. Even then……..How many 6-man rotatiuons aren’t that for long.

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Yankeesfanlen, how are you doing my friend?

6. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Boston doesnt need him, i heard from a good source that Dice-K is well ahead of schedule to return to the rotation!! GO DICE-K!!!

• uyf1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’ll bet the Red Sox fans are thrilled to hear that. Note, that’s my attempt at sarcasm.

• bosoxfan1950 - Nov 16, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Good grief!

7. bozosforall - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Typical loser move by a loser organization.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4003)