C.J. Wilson to meet with the Angels

Nov 17, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT

C.J. Wilson Getty Getty Images

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com says that C.J. Wilson will visit the Angels on Monday.

And he’ll no doubt meet with many other teams. But I gotta say, Wilson on the Angels would be intriguing.  Because if he does — and if he does it at something approaching the $120 million figure it’s reported he wants — it may be the second time that the Rangers have benefited by an Angels’ personnel move in as many years.  First by getting Mike Napoli on the relative cheap, and then by having their competition pay ace prices for a guy who, in my view anyway, isn’t worth that kind of dough.

1. lewp - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Ranger fan here and I completely agree. He is not worth that kind of money. When the pressure is on, he walks too many batters. He folded in the World Series.

2. btwicey - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

He’s good for a 3 era and 200 k’s for the next 5 years IMO, weaver haren cj Santana …. Yikes!

3. cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

It’ll happen if, and only if, Scioscia likes the cut of CJ’s jib or whatever metric it is Iron Mike uses to evaluate players. The smell test maybe? Should it befall The Angels to be saddled with this guy, whom could do nothing much for them based on how he looked in the post season, then I predict him and Wells forming a 2 headed beast of mediocrity there in modern day Gomorrah. He could post another 15 or more win season, sure, but it’ll be harder for him in LA. This time he’ll be soft tossing to Mathis: no more Mike Napoli to bail him out.

4. lyon810 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

NO NO NO! FUCK!

5. lyon810 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This is such a Reagins move. What’s the harm in standing pat? I know each fan can complain about his team’s lackluster moves, but I tolerated (barely) the Gary Matthews Jr signing, was oh so irked by the Kazmir and Wells trades, but this amount of money for a pitcher of CJ Wilson’s abilities is a joke.

Dipoto is quickly going to land himself on my shitlist

6. Kyle - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM

For 120 mill, no thanks. But if the Angels sign him he would really benefit from their home park, and the Angels would have an INSANE rotation.

7. pisano - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I pray the Angels sign him, because I don’t want the Yankees to be tempted to blow 120 mil. on a guy that’s in no way a No.1 starter. Hell, they got beat up by A.J. Burnett and he was supposed to be a No.2 starter. I think the first poster (lewp) said all that’s needed to be said about Wilson.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3439)