Nov 17, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT
The Red Sox seemed pretty interested in Dale Sveum for their managerial opening and now the Cubs have him. Or, will have him, assuming that he accepts their offer. And it seems like he should because the Red Sox apparently decided against him:
Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner, who met with Sveum yesterday, appear to want a candidate with more major league managerial experience.
Which is sort of silly considering their entire managerial search thus far has been focused on guys who have not really managed in the Major Leagues that much. Gene Lamont has, but I don’t think anyone thought of him a a frontrunner for the job. Rather, it was Sveum, Mike Maddux, Pete Mackanin, Torey Lovullo and Sandy Alomar Jr. None of whom have had a full time manager’s gig in the bigs.
But now they want someone totally different than that? Some guy who has a lot of major league experience? You’d think that if that were the case they would interviewed such beasts some time in the past few weeks. Not that a ton of those guys exist. As Pete Abe notes:
Finding worthwhile candidates with experience could be difficult. There are former managers available such as Don Wakamatsu, Jim Riggleman or Trey Hillman. Another possibility would be ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine.
I know there are some Bobby Valentine rah-rah guys out there, but is anyone really inspired by that list?
Anyway, to sum up: the Sox pushed out the franchise’s best manager of all time, threw him under the bus with the press when he left, and conducted a search for his replacement that, after several weeks, is now being completely refocused in terms of what kind of candidate ownership wants.
It’s funny: after the season the Boston clubhouse was lambasted for its apparent dysfunction. I think the front office is in pretty dysfunctional shape itself.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)