Nov 17, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
Kershaw, 23, registered a sparkling 2.28 ERA in 33 starts this year, striking out 248 batters and walking only 54 across 233 1/3 innings. He snagged 27 of 32 possible first-place votes to win it handily.
Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay, who had a 2.35 ERA, 220/35 K/BB ratio in 233 2/3 innings this season, finished second with four first-place votes, 21 second-place votes and seven third-place votes.
Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee, who posted a 2.40 ERA and 238/42 K/BB ratio in 232 2/3 innings, finished third in the balloting with five second-place votes, 17 third-place and nine fourth-place votes.
Diamondbacks right-hander Ian Kennedy (2.88 ERA, 198/55 K/BB ratio in 222 innings) finished fourth with one first-place vote, three second-place votes, six third-place votes and 18 fourth-place votes. He was the only candidate other than Kershaw and Hallday to get a first-place nod. Let the outrage begin.
MLB.com put together this snazzy Kershaw retrospective, featuring a wonderful amount of Vin Scully.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)