Nov 17, 2011, 2:07 PM EST
Kershaw, 23, registered a sparkling 2.28 ERA in 33 starts this year, striking out 248 batters and walking only 54 across 233 1/3 innings. He snagged 27 of 32 possible first-place votes to win it handily.
Phillies right-hander Roy Halladay, who had a 2.35 ERA, 220/35 K/BB ratio in 233 2/3 innings this season, finished second with four first-place votes, 21 second-place votes and seven third-place votes.
Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee, who posted a 2.40 ERA and 238/42 K/BB ratio in 232 2/3 innings, finished third in the balloting with five second-place votes, 17 third-place and nine fourth-place votes.
Diamondbacks right-hander Ian Kennedy (2.88 ERA, 198/55 K/BB ratio in 222 innings) finished fourth with one first-place vote, three second-place votes, six third-place votes and 18 fourth-place votes. He was the only candidate other than Kershaw and Hallday to get a first-place nod. Let the outrage begin.
MLB.com put together this snazzy Kershaw retrospective, featuring a wonderful amount of Vin Scully.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)